Making my own VPN server.

The VCR King

With a new PC build coming up soon, it'll finally be time to retire the old Beast. But rather than decommission it entirely I want to re-purpose it since it still (kinda) runs.

What I want to do is make it into a working VPN server I can use over public wifi away from home so I don't have to use those app ones on my phone.

What all do I need to set this up?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Save yourself a lot of headache and just get a router that has a built in VPN. Then setup a dynamic DNS address and a homing beacon that updates the IP address.

For example, I have an ASUS RT-AC68U router that has a built in VPN. You can also register a dynamic DNS right in the console. But I already had one setup, so I just use a homing beacon to update the IP address.

The VCR King

I understand what you guys are saying about the built in router thing being easier, but I want to take the more "difficult" route of making my old PC into a server machine because I like experimenting and tinkering and working on stuff. I could probably make it a Grub dual-boot machine and take the Ubuntu approach, can someone go more in depth on it? Thanks

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Define what you mean by in-depth, the guide tells you everything you have to do :p