Maximum capacity M.2 drive?

djteknovibe

I have a 2022 Asus TUF Gaming 17 laptop and I would like to know if there would be any issues putting in a larger capacity M.2 drive, it came with a 500GB in it in slot 1 but I bought a Crucial M.2 drive and cloned the original drive and am now using a much faster Crucial M.2. It's a 1TB, the laptop has a second M.2 slot, I did ask Asus and they said I can only put in a 1TB maximum in either slot but when I asked them why they ignored me. Would there be any issues putting in a 2TB or maybe a 4TB?

djteknovibe

It's description is : ASUS TUF GAMING F17 Intel Core i5 8GB RAM 512GB SSD Nvidia RTX 3050 17.3" 144Hz Intel i5 12500H Gaming Laptop

The model number is : FX707ZC-HX052W

Asus customer support via email told me it can accept a 1TB M.2, they didn't say anymore than that and like I said when I asked why I received no more emails from them explaining why.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to their support page, that model only supports 512 or 1TB.

All you can do is try a bigger drive and see what happens, you may get lucky.

beers

Staff member
Shouldn't really be anything artificially limiting the capacity.

For reference my strix laptop indicates 32GB max RAM on the spec sheet, a lot of the time it's just what they tested with at the time.

djteknovibe

Shouldn't really be anything artificially limiting the capacity.

For reference my strix laptop indicates 32GB max RAM on the spec sheet, a lot of the time it's just what they tested with at the time.
Yeah I used the Asus laptop and did the upgrade scanner did say I can have 64GB in my laptop but Asus said maximum 32GB. DDR5 RAM is expensive so it's not something I want to buy and see if it works because if 64GB doesn't work i'm stuck with the RAM. The M.2 that's no big problem if for some reason a 4TB M.2 doesn't work in the laptop I can get a USB case for it and stick it in there and use the M.2 drive as an external drive.