May I Please Have Some Advice/ Recommendations ? (Core i7 Board)

erebusting

Using tri-sli does not really increase gpu performance. I was thinking about running three cards and then I did some research. Most games are only built on no more than a dual gpu system, meaning you won't get higher settings if you were to run three cards.

none the less, I would like a board that can support such things...doesn't mean I will only use it for gpus any way..what about teslas ?....

how about the p6t6 board? doesnt it do 16x/16x/16x ??
it also has support for 24gb of ram..also It is ''SUPPOSED" to be a good overclocker (can anyone verify that?)...
also it supports SAS...
looks like this could be a winner for me...any ideas/ advice?..

Last edited:

bomberboysk

If your only planning on running GTX295's you only need two pci-e x16's to begin with since its a dual gpu card...

computerscholar

How's it going. I am not sure how to post a new topic under a new forum but, I would like to know if it were possible to buy a new motherboard form an online vendor as opposed to going through the manufactor. I have an Emachines desktop computer. If I chose to to buy a motherboard online, how do I determine if it will be compatiable with my Emachines computer. I have an Altolom(spelling) processor that is running window 2000 . Thanks for your help.

erebusting

If your only planning on running GTX295's you only need two pci-e x16's to begin with since its a dual gpu card...

but what if I want to use more slots for others ie: physX card, Raid Controller, sound cards ?...

anyone know how the Asus p6t6 runs PCIe? (I heard its 16x/16x/16x ?)...
is it a good overclocker...
or the p6t7?

Last edited:

Mitch?

banned
but what if I want to use more slots for others ie: physX card, Raid Controller, sound cards ?...

or the p6t7?

Okay. we'll redo this thread.
Now.
1) Tri-SLI is a waste of money. If you want the most out of it, get two dual core video cards and just SLI them.
2) 24gb of RAM is ridiculous. Games won't use more than 4gb right now, up to 8gb in the future. Anymore is really a waste. 8gb of DDR3-2000 will be optimal.
3) You don't have to worry about using PCI-E lanes. If a motherboard can run SLI it'll probably have a total of 32 video lanes, and 6-10 for 1x and 4x.
4) If you want to use physX you can use them at 8x speed, it doesn't effect performance of the card (as it doesn't use full bandwidth of the 16x slot)
5) You'll be hard pressed to find a board that does SLI, supports 2000mhz DDR3, and ISN'T a good overclocker. I've personally used EVGA, ASUS, and MSI and would recommend them all for overclocking.

bomberboysk

or the p6t7?
Raid controllers only use pcie x1 for most of them to begin with, PHYSX wouldnt use up an x8 pci-e 1.0 card, let alone an x8 pcie- 2.0. Sound cards again, either pcie-x1 or pci.
Okay. we'll redo this thread.
Now.
1) Tri-SLI is a waste of money. If you want the most out of it, get two dual core video cards and just SLI them.
2) 24gb of RAM is ridiculous. Games won't use more than 4gb right now, up to 8gb in the future. Anymore is really a waste. 8gb of DDR3-2000 will be optimal.
3) You don't have to worry about using PCI-E lanes. If a motherboard can run SLI it'll probably have a total of 32 video lanes, and 6-10 for 1x and 4x.
4) If you want to use physX you can use them at 8x speed, it doesn't effect performance of the card (as it doesn't use full bandwidth of the 16x slot)
5) You'll be hard pressed to find a board that does SLI, supports 2000mhz DDR3, and ISN'T a good overclocker. I've personally used EVGA, ASUS, and MSI and would recommend them all for overclocking.
+1, just that 6gb would be optimal on an X58 setup:p

Mitch?

banned
Raid controllers only use pcie x1 for most of them to begin with, PHYSX wouldnt use up an x8 pci-e 1.0 card, let alone an x8 pcie- 2.0. Sound cards again, either pcie-x1 or pci.

ahhh yeah forgot about the tri-channel. :p i'm an AMD kind of guy.

erebusting

that is what people said about 4gb of ram, now its a minimum...
I plan to keep this setup for a while (I do not want to blow out more money after I am going to spend 2-3000 for a system now)...

what about a SAS Raid 0 is that worth it?

Mitch?

banned
I plan to keep this setup for a while (I do not want to blow out more money after I am going to spend 2-3000 for a system now)...

Don't set up a system that you'll "never upgrade."

Buy what you think you'll use, because you can buy the utmost expensive items there are, and within a month there will be tighter RAM timings, a new chipset, new graphics, etc, out.

It's best to buy what you need and upgrade when you need.

bomberboysk

ahhh yeah forgot about the tri-channel. :p i'm an AMD kind of guy.
Ive always been both amd and intel, but anymore with intels current offerings becoming more like a three ring circus... i lean amd more and more.

Tbh... Would be best to spend around $1500-2000 on a decent rig now, and upgrade as you need it. An x16 x16 x8 board would be a great price->performance board, use your extra to invest in a liquid or high end air cooling setup for your cpu;) Plus the 24gb or memory issue, most motherboards support that anyhow, although 12gb is the theoretical max as far as price is concerned anyhow, as for the near future, 4gb ddr3 memory single modules are super expensive. And actually, 4gb is not really a minimum, its more the mainstream. I still know plenty of guys that run on 2x1gb with windows 7;)

erebusting

Ive always been both amd and intel, but anymore with intels current offerings becoming more like a three ring circus... i lean amd more and more.

Tbh... Would be best to spend around $1500-2000 on a decent rig now, and upgrade as you need it. An x16 x16 x8 board would be a great price->performance board, use your extra to invest in a liquid or high end air cooling setup for your cpu;) Plus the 24gb or memory issue, most motherboards support that anyhow, although 12gb is the theoretical max as far as price is concerned anyhow, as for the near future, 4gb ddr3 memory single modules are super expensive. And actually, 4gb is not really a minimum, its more the mainstream. I still know plenty of guys that run on 2x1gb with windows 7;)

yeah, mainstream is a better fitting term...

see though, I agree with you about getting a good rig now and upgrade when/what I need to or can at the time....
I want to get the best for myself now so later I wont have to worry about trying to sell off old parts ....(I am not good at that)...

would anyone recommend the 1600mhz crucial ddr3 tracers over the G.Skill Perfect Storm 2000mhz ??

bomberboysk

yeah, mainstream is a better fitting term...

see though, I agree with you about getting a good rig now and upgrade when/what I need to or can at the time....
I want to get the best for myself now so later I wont have to worry about trying to sell off old parts ....(I am not good at that)...

would anyone recommend the 1600mhz crucial ddr3 tracers over the G.Skill Perfect Storm 2000mhz ??
Nope, as far as price to performance is concerned g.skill is some of the best. And just a thought, but creating 5-6 threads for similar things, try to keep into one thread with multiple questions, makes it easier to help;)

erebusting

Nope, as far as price to performance is concerned g.skill is some of the best. And just a thought, but creating 5-6 threads for similar things, try to keep into one thread with multiple questions, makes it easier to help;)
sorry..
I just get off on too many subjects in one thread - so I make a new thread for each idea so maybe people with the same idea can find it easy also..