Memory and Storage Question

southstarBOOM

Hi

I currently have a Lenovo IdeaPad 520-15IKB, and I am looking to upgrade the from 8gb to 16gb, as well as upgrading from the HDD to roughly a 500gb SSD.
I looked around and contacted a few computer stores about how I should go about this and how much they would charge if I were to give them my computer. I was quoted around $260 for the following:

2x8gb ddr3 ram: $120
480 gb ssd: $95
windows installation on new ssd: $40
(Prices include service rates)

do you think this is a reasonable price to pay for the upgrade? although I have no experience in hardware installation, I am considering installing these things myself. I am currently looking for ram sticks and ssds' to buy, and after running my computer through the 'Crucial system scanner', I have became confused what to buy in order to upgrade the ram.

At the top it states that I only have ''1 slot (1 bank of 1)'' but after looking in task manager it says I have 2 slots. It also says that my maximum memory is 16gb, and that my standard memory is 4gb and removable, so would that mean that only one 4gb stick is removable, and the other 4gb is stuck to the motherboard? If this is the case, what ram stick should I buy?
Or if actually both ram sticks are removable, should I just buy 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram, or just 1 x 16 gb ddr4?

Also, is there a way I can transfer all Windows and User files from my HDD to the new SDD with an adapter, then just install the SDD, while preserving all files and folders in the same place, settings, themes, wifi passwords, etc the same?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, I am new to computers.

Thanks

Attachments

• ltt2.PNG
    ltt2.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 3
  • ltt1.PNG
    ltt1.PNG
    106 KB · Views: 3
  • ltt4.PNG
    ltt4.PNG
    769.6 KB · Views: 3

OmniDyne

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the cost of parts and labor was separate, we could give you a better idea if that is worth it. But you replacing ram and hard drive is pretty simple as long as the laptop has easy access to them.