Memory Ram

lkmjr2022

I have a question. My model number for my memory Samsung 8GB DDR5 4800 MHZ 1Rx16 UDIMM DESKTOP RAM MODULE M323R1GB4BB0-CQKOD CL40.
This number when searched on ebay has used this number PC5-38400. Now when I checked eBay there was a r and u suffix for both Non-ECC Unbuffered that is
PC5-38400R and PC5-38400U. Again they are both unbuffered NON ECC. So what is the difference between PC538400R and PC5-38400U. The "R" and "U" suffix meaning. I just want to make sure I get the correct Ram.
Mike

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A quick Google search would have answered your question they stand for registered and unregistered memory. Registered ram is really only used for servers.

lkmjr2022

A quick Google search would have answered your question they stand for registered and unregistered memory. Registered ram is really only used for servers.
Trust me I have been researching and came up with the registered but they are saying on ECC is registered.

beers

Staff member
Trust me I have been researching and came up with the registered but they are saying on ECC is registered.
ECC isn't the same thing as registered, but they're usually two implementations that are used in a server chassis. One of them has a extra bits for parity checks (ECC), one of them reduces load on the memory controller.

You 'should' be able to use ECC UDIMMs (unregistered) on a desktop, although whether ECC is actually used depends on other factors.

Realistically you get the best sticks as a consumer that are non-ecc, unregistered