Memory upgrade questions

Hammy211

Hi, I have a Sony RX860. I'm having problems doing Video editting with Abode and was wondering if a RAM/graphic upgrade was in order. I currently have 512MB of intergrated memory. That makes my actual number 480MB. I'm a little confused what would serve me best? Would a grapfics card be good? Does that count towards my max RAM capacity which is 1.5 GB? If I upgrade RAM can I stick in another GB or would going over the max number cause problems? Thanks.

TiGa TacTics

Hammy211 said:
Hi, I have a Sony RX860. I'm having problems doing Video editting with Abode and was wondering if a RAM/graphic upgrade was in order. I currently have 512MB of intergrated memory. That makes my actual number 480MB. I'm a little confused what would serve me best? Would a grapfics card be good? Does that count towards my max RAM capacity which is 1.5 GB? If I upgrade RAM can I stick in another GB or would going over the max number cause problems? Thanks.

Just a little info for you...your 512 is not intergraded onto the motherboard. I think the 512 you are refering to is the Installed Cache Memory that is 512kb not 512mb. If you were to open up your system you should 1 512 stick or even two 256 chips. Just go get another 512 stick of DDR PC2100 or PC2700. you probably have PC2100

You can never have too much ram, unless your running win98 and below. If you have xp or 2000 the more the better ecpessially if you are doing editing.

As for the video card upgrading Go for it, but don't sell yourself short you might want to invest anywhere from 100 to 250 for your card.

Anymore Questions don't be shy on posting.

Rick G

Hammy, I second Tigas post I'm 99% sure that you have PC2100 512meg. If you double it you will see a speed increase but if you want to make a bigger jump get 2 sticks of 512 PC3200 and you'l have to bolt that little monster to the desk.

The vid cards in store bought puters are seldom the full version of the retail products. If you are really doing a lot of video editind and graphics intensive apps the get a bi fast vid card like a MSI Geforce FX 5900, but prepare for sticker shock that board will set you back $450 at newegg.com Vid editing and graphics really need a board that good. There are more out there that are more expensive but then you get into cards that will never see a store bought computer.

If I remember correctly that computer comes with a 15" lcd, no? Probably a real good idea to get a 18 or 19 for graphics. Hey, it's only money, right?

P.S. just saw the identical system with a $400 card and a bunch of high dollar games for sale at another forum for $699 complete incl shipping. Sold of course.