Merging Four Partions into One

oshoshitzu

I want to merge the four partitions on Disk 1 onto one partition (image A). There are various Youtube videos showing how this can be done which basically involves right clicking on a partion and deleting it then right clicking on the ajacent partition and extending it's volume.

However, if I right click on the 15.85 GB Healthy Recovery Partition, furthest right, a help box is displayed and when I click on this partition further disk management options are displayed (image B). And yet, if I right click on any of the other three partitions I can delete or shrink a volume (image C). So I am finding this confusing: why is there a difference in options between one of the four partitions (image B) and three of the four partions (image C)?

So I'm not sure how to proceed in turning the four partitions into one partition.

THANKS

A
Both HD.png

B
Both HD with disk m.png

C
Both over E.png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you don't get the delete or format option for the recovery partition? As long as you don't need it, you can delete it but you may have to use third party software to do it such as mini tool partition wizard. Windows don't like deleting recovery partitions sometimes.

oshoshitzu

So you don't get the delete or format option for the recovery partition? As long as you don't need it, you can delete it but you may have to use third party software to do it such as mini tool partition wizard. Windows don't like deleting recovery partitions sometimes.

No delete or format option; but I've just found out that I could use Windows Disk Part to do it.
I intend to put a Linux OS on Disk 1 so want to have one partition, rather than four partitions, ready to install the Linux OS to.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You need to use a third party tool as John said. Windows doesn't like to delete logical partitions and because it's not at the end of the disk you won't be able to do much once it's deleted.

You're best off backing up whatever data you need and formatting the entire disk.

oshoshitzu

You need to use a third party tool as John said. Windows doesn't like to delete logical partitions and because it's not at the end of the disk you won't be able to do much once it's deleted.

You're best off backing up whatever data you need and formatting the entire disk.
OK, I've installed the Mini Tool so, to be clear, do I still need to delete the partitions first or will the tool just merge the four partitions into one for me? In the image below, it's disk 2 I'm putting the Linux OS on.

Mini tool.png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just delete all partitions on that drive would be the easiest thing to do. Then you can partition it however you like or just leave it alone as one big drive.

oshoshitzu

Just delete all partitions on that drive would be the easiest thing to do. Then you can partition it however you like or just leave it alone as one big drive.

I've deleted all the partitions in Disk 2 and I will allow the linux installer to decide the appropriate partitions as I think this option is available. My understanding is that the installer will automatically format the disk.

Unallocated.png