Microsft SQL Server: standalone or OS

flakpanzer

Is Microsft SQL Server 2000 a OS or a standalone database program that simply needs Microsoft Windows Server 2003 to be running or a full-blown OS?

Furthermore is there anyway to get round the 2GB file size limit that Microsoft imposes on Access files?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Microsft SQL Server 2000 is a database that can run on various Operating Systems which include Windows Server 2003.

I personally think you should take a look at MySQL.

Access isnt meant for a single database larger than 2GB. That is why the limit is there, and you can not get around that. You can split the database, but not increase the limit of a single database.

And, the personal and MSDE version of SQL Server 2000 also has a limit of 2GB.

flakpanzer

SFR, I think you'll find that most versions (except Developer) of SQL Server 200 have a file size limit of 1 Terabyte that is why I wish to use it over Access but thank you for answering my first question.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
flakpanzer said:
SFR, I think you'll find that most versions (except Developer) of SQL Server 200 have a file size limit of 1 Terabyte that is why I wish to use it over Access but thank you for answering my first question.
MSDE is the developer edition (which, along with WIndoes CE Edition, has a 2 GB limit). And I stand corrected, the personal edition has a max database limit of 1 terabyte.