Microsoft office 2019 files now read only

jamesd1981

Hi everyone

I just upgraded to office 2019 and after installing, I have noticed many of my docx documents now open in read only mode ?

I have checked properties tab and the read only box is not ticked, I never made them read only, so I guess it is an office 2019 default setting

Can anyone how I can turn this setting off, I have already tried resaving the documents, but as soon as I open them they are read only again

UPDATE

So after trying disabling all security settings in office, I have found the problem seems to be something has enabled read only on literally every folder on m pc, some research online seems it is quite common and most likely another disgusting aggressive grab for control my microsoft

Even when I remove read only in properties, it immediately comes back, any idea on how to fix this issue ?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you install the 32bit or 64bit version of the software? It seems this happens when the 32bit version is installed but not the 64bit.

More articles about it.

jamesd1981

Did you install the 32bit or 64bit version of the software? It seems this happens when the 32bit version is installed but not the 64bit.

More articles about it.

Hi john, it seems it is not related to office after all, I just did a clean Windows install and immediately after install checked my folders and all are marked as read only

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Drive D wouldn't be part of the fresh install of windows, only drive C would be. And if you used a different user name from first install then you won't have full access to your personal files on drive D.

The only thing I can suggest is to download and run this and see if it will give you full permissions to those folders/files.

Download the first link down a little ways or use this link.

After installation you just find the highest folder and then right click on it and click on take ownership. The process may take some time depending on how much is in that folder.

jamesd1981

Thanks John

The issue is kind of resolved, I went through the security tab of both C: and D: drives, I adjusted all permissions of my account to full, but also had to change ownership in the advanced tab from SYSTEM to my own admin account

The folders still have the read only box ticked, but the files inside do not, would you say the issue is resolved or do I have to get rid of the read only box on the actual folders ?

jamesd1981

I just reinstalled to check if the permissions would revert back and now I notice I have an unknown account in the list, has anyone seen this beforeCapture.JPG

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Probably your old user account before you did the fresh install. If everything works, just leave it alone.