modem<router<switch<wireless router not working

smash123

I am having problem on setting up the router 2 able to go online using my laptop. Com1 and com2 working prefect. Please check on the following pic for the hardware configuration.

http://files.engineering.com/getfil...9-baaf-446d-8eb7-43c97472f5a1&file=router.gif

I'm able to use laptop to configure router 2. So the wireless part is working fine. The issue is on the wire part. Seems to me the router 2 is not able to talk to router 1. I have tried about 2 hours and still can't figure this out. The following is my setting on the router 2 admin. This is the closest setting to success I think. Please anybody point me to what I'm missing. Thanks a lot.

On the basis setting page:

Automatically DHCP

Local IP address 192 168 0 55

DHCP disable (use router1 DHCP)

On Advance Routing

Set Router

That's it. Other setting using default. What seems to be missing? Thanks a lot.

I find the admin screen on other site. You can take a look if needed:

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/aptnet/linksys/index.html

BTW, I think I need to tell router2 where is the gateway router1 is? If this is correct, where exact in admin I need to enter that information. I know it sounded lazy that I want you guys to tell me exactly where I input the number but I really tried out anything for about 2 hours. I even went out to brought a new router with bridge function for just in case. (D-Link Lady wireless N router) But I still really want to make it work and learn. If you ask me why not just use the new router with bridge function because I had made it work like this 2 years before but this time after reset I just can't make it work again that's why I really really want to solve this issue. If I could do it before, I still can do it now. I know I just miss something. thanks

Quiltface

you need to set up that wireless router more like an Accesspoint because its not actually going to do any real routing. so give your wireless router an IP subnet mask and gateway and if your wireless router has a 4 port switch built into it then plug a cable into that and have it go to your switch does that make sense? as far as where to go i dont know... if i had the model # of the wireless router i could help more.