Modem uninstalls by itself

silaine

Hi all!

I have a very strange problem.

The PC is a Pentium 3 800MHz and had an internal modem. Unfortunately, lighting hit the house and burned the internal modem a bit. So then the modem stopped working obviously.

So I replaced the modem with an external modem. After installing the modem, I checked it 3 or 4 times, restarting shutting down and all that and everytime the modem worked and I could go online.

The PC was left off for a couple of days and when switched on again, the modem had uninstalled itself. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

In the control panel is an option called Modem Settings, but this is left over from the internal modem, but there isn't an option to uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The PC was left off for a couple of days and when switched on again, the modem had uninstalled itself. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
Sounds like the modem became loose from the socket :)

silaine

When I put the PC on again and I reinstall the modem, it works fine. I didn't have to plug it in again. I cannot understand this. I put of the computer and leave it for a few minutes and put it on again and its fine. But after a day or two, the modem off into the sunset.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When it goes away, goto device manager and do redetect of the new plug and play devices....does it come back? :)