Monitor Does Not Work

Legborsi

I really need some help with this one.
I have a Dell Dimension 2100 Desktop that I use at home. Over the weekend, I decided to do a memory upgrade since it only had 128 MB Ram and was running slow. I purchased a 256MB Ram (Kesington) and installed it in the PC replacing the 128 MB. Before opening it up, I turned off the computer and monitor then unplugged the power cords and all cables. I was very careful not to touch anything else in the computer but the memory module. When I turned the computer back on, I got a message on the monitor saying NO SIGNAL. I checked all my cables and connections to make sure nothing was dangling anywhere but it didn’t help. To make matters worse the Menu button on the monitor didn’t work.. I then bought an AMW monitor from the store, connected it to the computer and turned everything on but it didn’t work either. The green light on the monitor came on for a few seconds then went back to blinking orange. At this point, I really don’t know what else to do. My wife has a research paper she saved on this computer which is due by midnight 9/9/04. Is there a way I can get data from this computer using my laptop before I get the issue with my Dimension resolved?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Buy a monitor on a CC and return it after you've got it working :D

2. Odds are something is just loose ... these are darndest errors ... unplug the monitor (or even the video card) and plug it back int again just to be sure -- and make sure theres power etc

3. Try removing the memory

4. Do the fans spin up and stuff? Do you hear the computer start up? :)

Legborsi

Re:

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a look at the video card again or possible get a new monitor. The fan spins just like normal.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
And you can hear/feel the harddrives and stuff powering up, the cdrives open and all ... just no display right? :) If so then its most likely a loose connection (consider poppin the video card and putting it back).

Also, does the machine work normal when you remove the memory? :)