More Frustration

georgi0u

Ok, for all of you that need an insite on how my computer building process has been going take a look at this...

http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=18574&page=1&pp=10

Anyway, now that i got my monitor working i went into bios and first this i looked at was how hot my system was running at. my cpu speed was 60+C. Im under the impresion that this was also my broken motherboards fault and i am now in the process of putting everything back in the boxes, sending back my mobo, and starting over when that comes. Just thought i should let you guys know..

georgi0u

Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHZ No OC'ing With an aftermarket Thermatake Copper Heatsink (35$) and 80mm fan. If its not my screwed up mobo im gonna be pissed cause theres no excues for that high of a temp in such a well ventelated case ( 2 12mm and 1 8mm fan in the case PLUS the cpu cooler PLUS the OCZ psu fans)

Thermaltake CL-P0006 Cooling Fan/Heatsink

georgi0u

yea i used the thermal paste that the heatsink came with (the thermatake stuff). I cleaned the heatsink and processor with alcohol and then put a bit (about a grain of rice) and spread it out madddd even and thin. Then i put it in its socket, put the heatsink on, put the fan on (so it blows air into the heatsink) and booted up. Im guessing its the mobo but that doesnt sound to logical (im just praying on it). Anyway, is there anyway to disable the motherboard cpu fan output? Im using a stock 80mm fan and therefore dont need to use that port. However, when booting if i dont plug in a fan to the cpu socket on the mobo, it gives me an error screen (dragggg) anyway banking on my new mobo to solve the problem.

XHotxEx791

isnt the air supposed to go out of your cpu? not blow in. Those of you with dual-cores, is thermal paste applied differently than in single cores?

apj101

VIP Member
isnt the air supposed to go out of your cpu? not blow in.
This can be a matter of preference. Me i think the air to be sucked away. Some like air blown on. Guess the best test is just to measure the success of each method on your cpu

georgi0u

still, even if it is personal prefrance thats not going to account for a 135degree cpu with practically nothing running and like a billion fans in the case

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
you might want to check for a bios update. sometimes the software for reading the temps isn't that good and an update is required

georgi0u

i think its cause of the cpu itslef. Keep in mind that this is a brand new cpu, and while installing it i was super careful. But now that ive dissasembled everything, in order to return the MOBO, ive taken a carfuler look at the cpu slot, heatsink, fan, and actual cpu. When examining the cpu, ive found a few small scratches in the surface which i think are the overall cause of my problem. Even with thermal paste that type of a gap between the cpu and heatsink could of caused the increase temp. Stop me if im wrong but im going to c if i can return the cpu and get a new one in the meantime while im waiting for my motherboard to get back in. Please respond if you think that this could be my problem or not. Thanks again

--georgi0u

georgi0u

Sent Mobo back yesturday. Also called INtel and they said that their processors are made to work below 70-75 degrees C, so therefore i have no case to take it back for a new one as far as those scratches go. Ill update more when my motherboard gets here.