More Power Supply Woes

mscbuck

OK, here's story. I think I've had my "CompUSA" Brand 400Watt PSU for about a year or two now. Since then, I've added another 200GB HD, one or two case fans, and a GeForce 6800 (Non-Ultra, but soon to unlock piplines and such). Here are my specs total (I'm pretty sure that's all of them. There may be more)

AMD Barton 2500+
DFI Ultra Infinity Rev. A+ (NFII chipset)
2x256MB Nanya Technologies RAM
1xTDK 40/12/48 Cd Burner and 1xPioneer DVR-A05 DVD Burner
1x60GB Western Digital, 1x160GB Western Digital, 1x200GB Seagate HD
BFGTech 6800OC 128MB RAM
PCI Fan, PCI IDE controller (for the big HDs), and one other PCI device
5 LED Case Fans (all lighted)
Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu Heatsink
Sharp LL-M17W1U1 (I think that's the model number, it's an LCD TV)
Around 6 USB devices plugged in (3 into the mobo, the hub into the last mobo slot, and then 2 more into the hub)

It's a pretty demanding system. Pretty much just up until I got hte card, everything was fine. Then, after playing a few games, leaving my computer on for about a couple days (I always leave it on), I went to go play Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay. However, my screen goes black (says "Signal Lost") yet the computer still runs. All the lights are on, fans are spinning, video card lights are on along with the fans spinning. I think even the sound remained on, I can't quite remember. I can only shut down the computer by doing a full power down, not pressing the restart button. So, I do so, turn it back on. It's on, I go somewere fora bout 2 or 3 hours, come back, and the signal is lost again. Now, this 6800 I got I bought in December, so I highly doubt that it is broken.

I really think tha with the addition of the 200GB and the 6800, it started to put my PSU over the edge. Especially with the 6800, which I think really put it over the edge.

I hope I gave enough details. I'm going to order a 550 Watt PSU (Aerocool Aeropower II+ SE) tonight. I'm pretty positive that is my "CompUSA" brand PSU becuase 1. I don't trust anythign "CompUSA" brand, and 2. I think my system is really demands a lot. I went to that basic online PSU calculator, and it rates my system at about 420 watts. But, I want to get a person's opinion.

Thanks a lot, I lurk here often. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Bobo

banned
That sounds about right, unless the cord or the card had jiggled loose, but that is a bit too much of a coincidence

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I really think tha with the addition of the 200GB
The 200GB only uses abou 25W max

I'm going to order a 550 Watt PSU (Aerocool Aeropower II+ SE)
Nice :)

Do note that the wattage rating means damn near nothing from some small little company (or in the case of big companies, Raidmax). Im runnning my system here with a Vantec 420W (and all the internals are running off two rails rather than three at that -- the third one is snaked outside the case to power other stuff). Its more about the quality of the PSU rather than the brute force wattage

mscbuck

Thanks for the assurance. And to the last perosn, that's exactly what I've been hearing. My friend, almost an idnetical system, is running fine on a Antec 350Watt, and my PSU most likely crapped out because it's a "CompUSA" brand. I went for a bit of both with the Aerocool. It's got the brute force of watts, plus from the reviews, it's doing prettyw ell. Maybe not as dead on on the rails like Antec, but it's close enough that my computer won't blow up. Thanks for all your help

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I went for a bit of both with the Aerocool. It's got the brute force of watts, plus from the reviews, it's doing prettyw ell. Maybe not as dead on on the rails like Antec, but it's close enough that my computer won't blow up
Good approach :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Don't diss Compusa, they are a great store. But that is sort of a generic brand, as psus go
If you read carefully he was commenting about the PSU not the store.