Moving programs to new PC

racefan55

Mods please move this if it’s not in the correct place. I’m not the most computer savvy person. I’m getting a new desktop pc and I’d like to move a couple of programs from my old Dell that’s running Windows 10 (home)64 bit to a HP that has Windows 11 (home) 64 bit. I don’t have my quicken installation disc so I’m wondering if (and how) I can transfer the whole program? Same goes for income tax software. I have an external hard drive that I can export music and photos to then import them to the new pc, correct?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately any program that you want will have to installed fresh on the new pc, the reason being is that the installation will create registry entries that will be required for the program to work correctly. Any personal data like music, documents and photos can just be copied over.

beers

Staff member
You can probably find a downloadable installer for that.

As per John it's usually best to use an installer for the applications, and move the data. 'Some' applications don't care about existing registry entries while some won't work at all if particular dependencies that are applied in the installer aren't present in the new environment.

Okedokey

My advice would be to back up your entire Quicken and Taxation Software using their tools. (as per Beers suggestion). With a subscription, quicken has a 5GB Dropbox storage available for you as a part of your membership. Synchronization is not the same as a backup with Quicken so don't think you'll save your data that way.
  • Establish a Dropbox folder to save your Quicken backup LOCATION as follows:1661666650595.png
  • Create a Copy or Backup to a file...
  • 1661666382237.png

Install the latest Quicken software on your new machine and then Restore Quicken data
  1. Select the File > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File....
  2. Select Restore from your backup, then click Browse.
  3. Browse your computer or external media to find the backup file you want to restore. The Quicken backup file has the extension .QDF-Backup.
  4. Select the file to restore and click Open then Restore Backup.
  5. On the following prompt you will be given the option to overwrite the file you have open or to create a copy of the backup you're restoring.
  6. If you Create a copy, you will need to select a location to save the copy to and you will also need to give the copy a unique file name. After naming the file and selecting the location, click Save, then click Yes to open the restored file.
  7. If you are restoring a file over the current file, click OK to overwrite the current file then click Yes to open the restored file.
    What does it mean to overwrite a file?: Restoring a backup file replaces your current data with the data stored on the backup disk. Be aware that you'll lose any changes you made since the backup was created. If you want to preserve the current file, you must rename the current file or the file you are restoring. We recommend to avoid overwriting files.

racefan55

Thanks for the help. I think my best bet is to find a Quicken 2014 install disc, install the program and use my back up (I back up my file to a thumb drive after every time I use it) to put my files back in.