MS-Dos 6.22 and Win 98

hello45044

So I can have dos installed in C:/dos and windows installed in C:/windows? How would I use dos, would it be like when you go to the command prompt thingy it would use dos 6.22? Or would you have to chose windows or dos when you turn the computer on?

dave597

VIP Member
why do u have to have them seperate like that? windows 98 has its command prompt which is basically dos.

hello45044 said:
So I can have dos installed in C:/dos and windows installed in C:/windows? How would I use dos, would it be like when you go to the command prompt thingy it would use dos 6.22? Or would you have to chose windows or dos when you turn the computer on?
Boot options
eg:
Microsoft Windows
DOS

hello45044

PC Technology INC. said:
Boot options
eg:
Microsoft Windows
DOS
Ok. I installed dos, then windows. There was no cool boot menu. So I tryed putting the [menu] things in my config.sys and the goto %config% thing autoexec.bat file. I renamed the windows command shell to win.com and the dos command shell to dos.com. Under the [win] and [dos] parts of the config.sys file I put shell=C:\win.com and shell=C:\dos.com. And did a very good job of complety screwing up the computer. :(
It gives me like a million diffrent error messages when you try to turn it on. First the Windows 98 logo flashes on the screen, then the boot menu comes up. And it dosent work no matter what you pick.
Help.

hello45044

Forget this thread. My computer just overheated and the processor is MELTED!!! :mad: I can't belive it, just out of the blue my processor just over heated and MELTED!!! And its one of those special Gateway P3's so I cant get a new one!!!
Ggggggggggrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bobo

banned
How do you know that it is melted? Did a message come up saying

"Your CPU is now melted. Please turn off the computer and yoink the PS cables before the computer blows up in your face."

?!?!?!:D

hello45044 said:
Forget this thread. My computer just overheated and the processor is MELTED!!! :mad: I can't belive it, just out of the blue my processor just over heated and MELTED!!! And its one of those special Gateway P3's so I cant get a new one!!!
Ggggggggggrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Either send the guts to me and I'll melt everything or I will probably repair it, or just throw it out. I just can't understand how come it melted. :(

Bobo

banned
Amma Wario said:
E I just can't understand how come it melted.

Neither can I. CPUs don't just melt, they have an auto shut-off at a certain temp. And even if it didn't, it should not melt

hello45044

It had a plastic housing around it and that kinda warped and stuck to the processor. And I guess it didn't auto shut off. I knew it was melted when the screen went blank and I smelled melted plastic. The side of the computer was off so I looked inside and the plastic was all burnt and stuff. Well, I guess it was time for and upgrade anyway. :D

NT61

banned
hello45044 said:
Ok. I installed dos, then windows. There was no cool boot menu. So I tryed putting the [menu] things in my config.sys and the goto %config% thing autoexec.bat file. I renamed the windows command shell to win.com and the dos command shell to dos.com. Under the [win] and [dos] parts of the config.sys file I put shell=C:\win.com and shell=C:\dos.com. And did a very good job of complety screwing up the computer. :(
It gives me like a million diffrent error messages when you try to turn it on. First the Windows 98 logo flashes on the screen, then the boot menu comes up. And it dosent work no matter what you pick.
Help.

Install DOS first then Win98

NT61

banned
hello45044 said:
It had a plastic housing around it and that kinda warped and stuck to the processor. And I guess it didn't auto shut off. I knew it was melted when the screen went blank and I smelled melted plastic. The side of the computer was off so I looked inside and the plastic was all burnt and stuff. Well, I guess it was time for and upgrade anyway. :D

Have you tried taking off the melted plastic? Then, your CPu might have worked again