"Multi-layering" security itself a hazard?

6MONTAGE

On the one hand, articles I've read recommend using several programs, antivirus and antispyware and antimalware, for security.

On the other hand, I've been told by a techie that using more than one resident anti-spyware program can itself cause instability in the operating system and applications.

Which is correct?

Any guru who wishes to share what they do?

Yeti

VIP Member
Well, I could see there being conflicts if two real-time protection programs are running. Other than that the only thing I know of is that one anti-spyware program will quarantine a file and another program will scan that quarantine and pick it out which can cause problems. Can anyone else think of any more reasons?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
well in the case of antispyware utilities, if you use something that blocks spyware from installing it could cause the 2nd install blocker to see it as a spyware program blocking install of a real program and block it there by letting it though. This is probably rare and may never happen but running 2 live protection things is almost always a bad idea. Multiple scanners is ok, just not multiple 'live protection' type programs

Sebouh

well that's true, i use one real time protection for spyware and 3 (including itself) for just scanning. For Firewall and AntiVirus protection, i use norton Internet Security.