music server h/d vehicle use

stich626

Hello, while thinking up my home set up, I thought it be easy to add one to my vehicle. using a small tablet as the controller and a external h/d for storage space.
I'm not sure if a standard h/d set up in a spring loaded mount(think like a turntable base to table were.) to soft'n the jolts of a pothole /etc. the ipods seem to do ok in vehicles. and large SS drives are still pricey.
I do have a 160gb ipod but the vehicle in question will be DIY efi and use a computer to tune and data log, so might as well, interface the tunes also..
Haven't looked at tablets yet. but my mother has an ipadII and it's a tad large for what I'd be using a tablet for..
I'm I off my rocker or is this a do able set up.
The biggest question is the harddrive and living in a moving vehicle and road bumbs,potholes, temp changes, etc. but cars have had computers insome form or another since the late 70's so. it shouldn't be all that hard on the parts, other than the question about bumbs/jolts and a platter based hard drive.
Thanks for any insight.
I's for a vehicle that will (fingerscrossed) be going on the hot rod powertour'14 and 3200 miles drive.
Maybe I'm over thinking this and just stick with the ipod.
Thoughts?

Geoff

VIP Member
You are much better off with flash based memory than a mechanical hard drive, if you are going to do this setup you should spend the time and money to do it right so you don't have to fix it later on. I assume you need more than the onboard 32GB from a tablet? You need to make sure the tablet supports OTG (use of the USB port and external drives). IMO you would be a lot better off getting an OTG cable and using a flash drive, 64GB or 128GB for instance - as they don't require external power and they are a lot more robust and small.

You kind of are over thinking this. Get a tablet, if you need more than 32GB than get a large flash drive, and set it up to sync music with your home WiFi when you pull into your driveway/garage so you never have to take it out.