my computer slowed down

ucanadam

i formatted my computer because of a problem and it opens too slow (5-6 mins). It is unnormal. It used to be faster. And i have p4 2.4 gb, it musnt be that slow. What should i do ?

Lax

VIP Member
First thing you should do is give a little more info about the computer. Memory, Gfx, OS and the like.

ucanadam

Lord AnthraX said:
First thing you should do is give a little more info about the computer. Memory, Gfx, OS and the like.

p4 2.4 gb
512 mb ddr 333 ram
windows xp pro
geforce 4 mx 440

Exploded_Monitor

the same thing happened to mine, i used to format it every 2-3 weeks becasue it kept getting slow, and eventually it died. Everything turned gray (16 colors) and the mouse went off. I think formatting the hard drive is bad for the comp or something, but sometimes it is neccessary. If all else fails, maybe a new hard drive will do the trick.

Lax

VIP Member
kof2000 said:
maybe your hsf is not working?
HSF would cause a slow down but it would most likey not be seen until it has been running for a while. My dell takes about 5-6 min. and I too have no idea. I think it's just congestion on the HDD. How much space you got free on the drive?

Lax

VIP Member
Fragmented drive wouldn't cause the computer to startup that slow unless it's about 5 years old. New drives rarely ever need to be defragmented.

Tha Killa

You could try error checking.. right click on your hd in 'my computer', properties, tools, error-checking. Sometimes can take awhile for me (hour or two), and you'll probably have to restart your computer for it to do it.

ucanadam

Tha Killa said:
You could try error checking.. right click on your hd in 'my computer', properties, tools, error-checking. Sometimes can take awhile for me (hour or two), and you'll probably have to restart your computer for it to do it.

it didn't fix

ucanadam

yes i mean boot time

The problem was a virus, and i couldnt format because of cmos password which i dont know. To disable the password i tried to reset mainboard on reset switch but i plugged out power_led cable on f panel and i plugged it again reverse, then all of my hard disc erased.

these are ss of results of cpu-z:
a.jpg

2.jpg

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The problem was a virus, and I couldnt format because of cmos password which I dont know.
You can format without knowing the BIOS password....

To disable the password I tried to reset mainboard on reset switch but I plugged out power_led cable on f panel and I plugged it again reverse, then all of my hard disc erased.
Plugging in the LED backwards just means the LED wont turn on....