My computer was smell of burning, then he immeaditly turns off

Ales

Hi!
I was playing CS GO on my computer, after some matches, there was a smell like a burning from my computer, and then flashed out from the computer, and computer turns off immeaditely...
Then i look in the computer case, and i saw that all was warm inside, graphic card was very hot, mother board, and also power supply was very hot. Some parts were very hot and some parts were warm.
Now my computer does not turn on.
Im thinking that power supply burns, and it is destroyed.

Why even this happens?
Are my other parts okay?
How fix my computer?

Please help.

I have also uploaded picture of power supply (opened): http://imgur.com/a/EqJMb

_Pete_

Yep agree With Laquer Head. No user servicable parts in that power supply but some heavy, possibly lethal, voltages. These things happen because electronics tend do that sort of thing unfortunately. We have no idea whether anything else has died.

Your third question. Buy a new power supply or a tester, http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...er.TRS0&_nkw=atx+power+supply+tester&_sacat=0 Brit site I know but your favourite Ebay site will seel the same thing. Neither are that expensive. If your power supply is okay then unplug all your peripherals and power your computer up. If it boots to POST without any dramatics then then proceed to plug everything back in one by one Keeping an eye and a nose for any burning or burning smells. If you see or smell anything then pull the mains plug from the power supply quickly.

To be honest if you have to ask those questions I think your best bet is to pay a visit to your local friendly computer guy and ask him to fix it.

beers

Staff member
That PSU looks super cheap, although as per others unless you have an electrical engineering degree there is not much use in opening it.

There's no easy way to tell if anything else was impacted without switching out parts like a new PSU.

Ales

Thanks for all answers, so i need to buy new PSU unit... But i dont know why is my graphic card very hot when i am playing games?

beers

Staff member
Thanks for all answers, so i need to buy new PSU unit... But i dont know why is my graphic card very hot when i am playing games?
Most of them are, depending on what card it is it can vary. A lot of the newer cards have more conservative fan profiles that don't ramp up until 70-80C

Ales

johnb35: I have grapgic card ATI Radeon HD 4870

My computer is like 8 years old, and i dont know why my PSU gone..

Darren

Staff member
johnb35: I have grapgic card ATI Radeon HD 4870

My computer is like 8 years old, and i dont know why my PSU gone..
It's because your power supply is 8 years old. They lose power output and and are more liable to fail the longer they run. Usually after 4-5 years I advise a new one, even if it's still working okay, to prevent situations such as these.

aldan

god,a 4870?i run one but im not a gamer.my 10 year old power supply just calved on me so dont be surprised if yours is finished.good advice is being given here.

Ales

My PSU unit is destroyed.. That happenes some days after i replaced heat sink with the new one (proccesor ventilator).
Im thinking that heat sink take to much voltage, because i had replace it with bigger heat sink..

beers: i didnt put any ccompressed air on it, i have putted thermal paste..

Laquer Head

My PSU unit is destroyed.. That happenes some days after i replaced heat sink with the new one (proccesor ventilator).
Im thinking that heat sink take to much voltage, because i had replace it with bigger heat sink..

What does this even mean??

You need a new PSU, the one you have is garbage and will eventually explode and take down the rest of that system

Next, you need to get a can or 2 of air and clean that tower

Then, I'd recommend unmounting your fan/heatsink on the processor and clean it complete, apply fresh thermal paste

Ales

Laquer Head: This means that is my PSU useless..
Thanks yes, i will replace it with new one...
And which tower do you mean by cleaning?

Laquer Head

Laquer Head: This means that is my PSU useless..
Thanks yes, i will replace it with new one...
And which tower do you mean by cleaning?

I'd highly recommend a replacement PSU, yes. Corsair, Seasonic...etc

The tower, meaning your computer case - needs a good dusting, and I'd recommend a cleaning/dusting of the fan on CPU too, at minimum. I'd say re-apply thermal paste too, but maybe a good cleaning and clean power would be a good start.

Okedokey

If a PSU is failing it can lead to unstable or lower than spec voltages which can cause other components to overheat. New PSU is a good idea plus above about cleaning everything up. Back up and resinstall Windows if I were you too.