my final build on my computer tell me if it is ok

XHotxEx791

Newegg is cheaper... Get a 6600 gt with SM 3.0 support. Why intel? Don't forget arctic silver 5 and windows if needed. Other than that looks good to me. Maybe you might want to get a 6xx pentium 4 instead.
ROger

Rambo

If it's for gaming then you probably want an AMD 64... And then you will have to change your motherboard... :)

i dont get why you want amd for gaming i have an intel p4 2.8 with HT and it works fine with games i just want to build a computer for the fun of it and for a better one but intel works just as good for gaming as amd

apj101

VIP Member
but doesnt intel work fine for gaming or do i really have to get amd
intel will be ok for gaming for most users - but when you start hardcore gaming at maximum detail and high resolution then you will see the difference that amd brings (onboard memory controller and all...)

TheChef

Well, seeing as you were spending 226 on an Intel, a 3200 Venice OEM with a nice HSF and an Asus K8N-e would do just fine and be about the same price.

SonnieP

Venice is the core name... it is the upgrade from Winchester. Basically it's the latest core. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer and means it won't come with any extras that may come in the Retail Box... such as a heatsink and fan.

I'd recommend Newegg as well... they should be cheaper on all your parts and they have terrific customer service.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i dont get why you want amd for gaming i have an intel p4 2.8 with HT and it works fine with games i just want to build a computer for the fun of it and for a better one but intel works just as good for gaming as amd
Because clock for clock, buck for buck, AMD K8s are better. This does not mean Intel chips arent able ... just that K8s are better.

Not true. AMD's Athlon 64 line is better in games due to an onboard memory controller.
Actually it's [partially] true. Just because K8s have an ondie memory controller does not mean you will see any benifits .... sure you can get 150fps on a K8 and 120 on a Pentium4 ... but who will notice the difference? :) (I still say yeah get a K8 but its not an earth shattering failure if you dont ... some people seem to think that non-K8s mean that can't game anymore)

but doesnt intel work fine for gaming or do i really have to get amd
K8's would be better but Pentium4s are more than capable of playing games.

what is artic silver 5
Hehe google answers that on first try ... http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm