My hard drive will no longer save anything to it.

ironpony

I have a large harddrive which I save copies of my video and audio files to, for video and audio editing. But I can longer save anything to it. If I do, it says that it's not an option to save to this location. I cannot figure out what the problem is with the harddrive. It seems to work fine that all files that have been saved on there before are fine and will play. But I cannot save anything else to it.

There is still 2 thirds of room left on it as well, so it's not too full. What can I do, if anyone knows?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to run a checkdisk on that drive or at least run the drive makers disk diagnostic utility on it. What brand of drive is it?

ironpony

Okay thanks. I don't know the name of the hard drive cause I threw out the box a couple of years ago when I bought it but the computer reads it as "My Book. It's a 3 terabit hard drive if that helps.

I tried running a checkdisk three times now, but when I do, nothing happens though. Still the same.

ironpony

After running the disk check though and trying again now, I cannot access the hard drive at all now. Any suggestions?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The My Book is a Western Digital External drive, which is USB. External drives don't like excessive movement, jolts, drops,etc. If you plug it and it spins up then its getting power unless it has separate power supply. Maybe usb cable is bad or something.

ironpony

No I think it's working fine as far as wires go and it has stayed in the same place since, without movement. I think the problem is, is that I was copying video files to it, and while it was copying, the power went out, shutting everything off. Then when the power came back on I rebooted the computer, and then hard drive hasn't been able to save anything to it, every since the power outage.

ironpony

Okay thanks. So anytime the power goes out, a hard drive can be shot then? Is there anything one can to do prevent that?

Also, I feel that if I were delete the file off the harddrive that became corrupted, while the power went out, then maybe the hard drive will still work. However, the corrupted file on there is un-delete-able for the computer now. Is there anyway to delete such a file, where you can force the computer to delete it, no ifs, ands, or buts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you try downloading and running the program I linked you to? You said you can't save anything new to this drive. That tells me that there is an issue with the drive not any particular file that is already on there.

Anytime you have a power failure you take a chance on losing data or having any hardware die. Run that program and get back to us. It may detect errors and fix them or it may not.

ironpony

I have a bigger problem now. The computer will not recognize the hard drive if it's plugged in anymore now. Nothing shows up at all now. I tried two other hard drives as a test, and they will not show up either. What do I do now, if anyone knows?

ironpony

Okay thanks, that works. Sorry, I should have just done that, it's just with another problem now I just got panicky. But now it's working. I can try out the program now, and try to figure it out.