My laptop seems sluggish editing in Premiere Pro CC

ssal

As I am learning Premiere Pro CC, I watch a lot of youTube tutorials. A lot of the functions, as shown, seem pretty snappy. But when I tried practicing the same function on my laptop, it is extremely sluggish. I don't have too much a problem with Photoshop CC. But Premiere is another story.

I am starting to think my 2+ year old laptop is not up to snuff.

My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with 12 GB ram, the program is on a SSD and the video is on a HDD.

Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM @2.40 GHz
Intel HD Graphics-4000

I am looking into the following two systems. I will outfit them with 16gb ram, SSD and HHD.

The Dell desktop with:

Intel® Core i7-6700 Processor 3.4GHz
4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 Graphics

The HP laptop with:

Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor at 2.7GHz
4GB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Graphics

Are they much better than my current Toshiba? And which one is better for the future?

spirit

Staff member
It might be slow in some situations because it doesn't have a dedicated GPU. Premiere Pro runs OK on my ThinkPad with an i5 4200M and HD 4600 graphics, but not as well as it does on my desktop with an i7 and a GTX 760, of course. Your present laptop does have a proper quad-core CPU though which the HP laptop doesn't, so actually the HP may end up being slower because it has a weaker CPU (low-power dual-core). If you want a laptop for Premiere Pro you want a quad-core CPU and a decent GPU, maybe look for something with an i7 6700HQ and a higher-end GPU than the 940MX. You'd probably be looking at workstation-grade machines from Dell, HP or Lenovo which are expensive.

If you're looking for a desktop then I'd suggest building your own with an i7 6700K and something like a GTX 1060 or 1070 instead of buying that Dell.

ssal

I am leaning towards the HP laptop because I just love the versatility of carrying it around on a trip.
Is this 7th generation processor not a lot faster than my older Toshiba i7-3630QM?
Is the 4GB NVidia GeForce 940MX not good enough?

I don't shoot for the fastest, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would put my Toshiba in the 3-4 area, where would you put this HP?

Also, would increase the DRAM of my Toshiba from 12gb to 16gb help?

spirit

Staff member
I don't shoot for the fastest, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would put my Toshiba in the 3-4 area, where would you put this HP?
Hard to say, probably worse than your Toshiba due to the CPU having fewer cores (the i7 7500U is a dual-core and is a low energy one, so performance will be hindered) and that particular dedicated NVIDIA GPU not being all that. If it had a higher-end GPU it might be better, but you should definitely steer clear of 'U' series processors you see in ultrabooks if you want to do editing.

Possibly, I don't think it will make a world of difference though.

Laquer Head

I am leaning towards the HP laptop because I just love the versatility of carrying it around on a trip.
Is this 7th generation processor not a lot faster than my older Toshiba i7-3630QM?
Is the 4GB NVidia GeForce 940MX not good enough?

They sell new laptops with 7th gen intel cpu and the 940MX???????? WTF

ssal

Tell me more of the 940MX. What so bad about it? And is 960MX same issues?

Also, there is another HP desktop with the following:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor at 3.4GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) RAM
  • 2GB GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics
Is this any better? I am trying to stay in my budget without blowing the house.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Tell me more of the 940MX. What so bad about it? And is 960MX same issues?
Just seems to be a fairly slow/mid-range card to pair with a fairly decent CPU.

Also, there is another HP desktop with the following:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor at 3.4GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) RAM
  • 2GB GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics
Is this any better? I am trying to stay in my budget without blowing the house.
Yeah, not bad. It will be better than the laptop you were looking at. You could look at building something yourself though with a higher-end video card and an i7 6700K which you could overclock.

ssal

If I want to build my own, which I had never done. But in the earlier day of PC back in the 80's, I had done a lot of adapter card swapping, memory upgrading, HD installation and power supply repairing.

Where do I start? I am looking for recommendation.

- Mother board (Can support 32 gb ram)
- Power supply (Can handle the CPU and GPU)
- CPU
- GPU (something great and can support dual monitors)
- Card readers (CF, SD, etc.)

- The case

Would I be better off to just buy a Dell/Alienware Area 15

Last edited: