My new PC and questions

Exo

Ok.. So BIG thanks to everyone for your help in getting my new computer. Couple of quick newbie questions and I am good.

Should I play gaming on a wired connection or is wireless ok?

Will I see an upgrade if I went to 18mbps instead of my 12mbps connection now?

Killer 2100 network card... is it worth it?

You guys are awesome.

Exo

blue957400

For gaming It'd be better that you have a wired connection as this will reduce any problems that may arise with wireless. Also wired connection establishes a more stable connection. This is just my opinion though, other people may say it doesn't matter so it really comes down to your preference. As for the connection, 12mb is pretty good so unless those speeds are being capped by your ISP you should be ok. As for the network card, honestly with the new system you wouldn't notice the difference it would make. Again that would be up to you though whether you want/need it.

jonnyp11

as far as wireless, go to myspeedtest.com and tell us what you get, if it's pulling fast enough you should be fine, although a wired is recommended since it won't be bouncing up and down the way wireless can and you know you'll have a solid connection unless your internet just cuts off for some reason.

Dystopia

Wired connection for gaming, wireless, even if a millimeter away from you card, will still have more lag than a wire.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like said,Wired if your wanting to game is best,as for the gaming card...I have a Killer K1 which is quite a bit older than the Killer 2100,and i did notice that my ping went down a few and i had a few more Fps in BC2,But nothing huge.

I would never buy one at full price because they are not worth the price for the performance gain you get...only reason i got mine is because it was super cheap used (£20) and i wanted to see what all the hype was about.

I say forget the Killer card,Put the money towards a faster internet connection. :)

Last edited:

Exo

Like said,Wired if your wanting to game is best,as for the gaming card...I have a Killer K1 which is quite a bit older than the Killer 2100,and i did notice that my ping went down a few and i had a few more Fps in BC2,But nothing huge.

I would never buy one at full price because they are not worth the price for the performance gain you get...only reason i got mine is because it was super cheap used (£20) and i wanted to see what all the hype was about.

I say forget the Killer card,Put the money towards a faster internet connection. :)

Well said... that is what I will do then.