My PC is screen glitching

PanemaPapers

So, bit of a problem with my desktop PC. You can see the image bellow. This shouldn't be a screen issue as the screen hasn't been moved or touched.

This is a HP Pavillion desktop PC thats about 6 years old. Ive ran through the first processer, and its running on its second. Its quad processors PC.

Ive forced start this PC a few too many times and i always knew it might do this one day.

I've had it running for an hour and it's still a black screen. Usually it does this and then eventually loads.

Fingers crossed it eventually reloads

Its running on the stupidity of its owner so
IMG-20221226-WA0025.jpg

DavidG

This looks to be a graphics fault. Try a different monitor to exclude that, if no better it might be worth doing a windows reset. Assuming windows 10
Start>settings>update and security>recovery>reset
If no better, if you have a separate graphics card then it needs replacing, if that isn't an option then no DIY fix.

Darren

Staff member
GPU is dying or possibly bad memory since it's shared with the GPU and used as vRAM. If it's the GPU, that means it's the whole motherboard, which makes it immediately not worth it. If it's just RAM, maybe worth fixing.

beers

Staff member
Did you check obvious things like a loose cable? I had some screen blanking and weird negotiation type of visual glitches a couple weeks ago but reconnecting the USBC to DP cable on both ends resolved it.

Otherwise a checkerboard is usually a GPU failure as @Darren indicated. What specific model of PC is that?

PanemaPapers

Did you check obvious things like a loose cable? I had some screen blanking and weird negotiation type of visual glitches a couple weeks ago but reconnecting the USBC to DP cable on both ends resolved it.

Otherwise a checkerboard is usually a GPU failure as @Darren indicated. What specific model of PC is that?
It's a HP Pavillion Power Desktop 580-0xx

I've managed to restart it and it's loaded fine. There is sometimes an issue with the screen connection to the desktop, sometimes the desktop will be on but the screen will say no image detected. And that's partly why I've forced restarted it before because it's just completely lost connection and only by restarting it will it work again.

It's loaded at the moment I'll try to use @Darren fix and see it if helps!

PanemaPapers

This looks to be a graphics fault. Try a different monitor to exclude that, if no better it might be worth doing a windows reset. Assuming windows 10
Start>settings>update and security>recovery>reset
If no better, if you have a separate graphics card then it needs replacing, if that isn't an option then no DIY fix.
It might be the monitor as I've had difficulties with it staying connected to the desktop. Sometimes, if it's placed into sleep mode it won't connect and says no image detected after it's loaded up.

Will a recovery reset erase some files or updates?

Its a HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xx

beers

Staff member
Its a HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xx
Is there anything a little more specific? Looks like a lot of those came with dedicated cards.

Matching articles for selected topic​