My PC won't load anything

IPXP

Can anyone help me? :confused:
I had the bright idea of disassembling my spare PC over the weekend, my first time at doing that, which I did do and labelled where everything went.
Only problem is, now that I've reasembled it nothing loads in. I mean everything seems to work: the PSU comes on the cr-rom drives work but nothing actually loads in from the hard drive. The monitor just stays blank.
I'm a complete novice and I have no idea what it could be, I've tried changing the cables over. Does anything jump out at anyone as to being the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Scrat

What are your PC spec's? Do you have 'onboard' video or do you have a video card.. what type of video card or motherboard?
When you disasembled the PC, did you put everything back in? Did you put anything new/extra in?
Are the HDD & Power leds on the front of your pc case connected to motherboard? Which lights come on when you turn the PC on?
Does your Monitor have 2 input options? is the correct input sellected?

IPXP

OK specs, here goes...it's running 2000 pro, 128mb ram 3gb hd, I think it's onboard video, as the only card is the modem.
I'm sure I put everything back as I took it out, I labelled everything, I put nothing new in, this was my first time taking a PC apart lol.
A red led comes on when I turn the PC on and when I try to shutdown using the poweron button nothing happens even after 6 secs and I hear a beep from the internal speaker.
I'm not sure about the monitor input options, could you explain what those are?
Thank you for your help Scrat from Oz

spazz31585

you said when you turn it on you hear it beep from the internal speakers? usually that's a memory beep code. means the memory sticks are not installed right or something

and that can tend to cause a no post, no video situation
my advice, reseat the memory sticks(take them out and put them back in)
also, check all the connections to the hard drive and stuff as well

do you have a video card you could try
or possibly try this monitor on another system

IPXP

When I press and hold the on button it continuously beeps.. beep, beep, beep, kinda thing not beeeeeeeeeeep.
I will try the reseating tonight and let you know tomorrow if that works, thank you ever so much buddies.

Scrat

spazz31585 said:
you said when you turn it on you hear it beep from the internal speakers? usually that's a memory beep code. means the memory sticks are not installed right or something

These are known as BIOS BEEP CODES. Compare what you hear to what is listed on this webpage ---> http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

From your info it does sound like it may be the Memory... make sure that you have the chips inserted in the slots in the order..... 1st Chip into slot '0', 2nd Chip 2 into slot '1', 3rd Chip into slot '2', etc..... The slots will be labled on the PCB next to them.

Also, are there two power cables going to the motherboard that have the exact same connector on them(will have diff coloured wires)??? If it does, make sure that they are pluged into the motherboard so that the 'Black' wires on each connector next to each other.

let us know how you go with these suggestions.

Camper

I would reinstall the ram as well as the CPU and the power supply cables this might solve your problem.

IPXP

Hi Scrat, I did take out and replace the 1 ram module I took out and it seems to be fitted right.
Do I reinstall the ram by taking both sticks out and reinserting them, same with the cpu and PS cables? Could I have the 1 (RAM) I took out back to front? Or damaged it putting it back in?
back to you Scrat... I think I only have 1 power cable.
1 last thing the little green led on the front of the PC doesn't come on (the one below the light bulb sign). But the red one is on.
Thanx buddies for everything.

IPXP

It's when I go to shutdown the PC, using the shutoff button on the front of the PC, when I hear the beep. Not when I turn it on..

Last edited:

IPXP

Just to let you know, it was a memory problem. 1 of the memory sticks was faulty, thanx for all your help.