My personal review on my Thermaltake SMART 650w non-modular PSU

The VCR King

OK it's been two days with the Thermaltake unit and I am very happy with it. Here is my in-depth review with my overall experience with this power supply unit.

The good:
Silent fan, can't be heard even under intense loads or during gaming

Unit produces little heat, it's cool to the touch.

The wires are all black and they're flat, which makes them easy to route through the case and it looks nicer than the wires on my Cougar unit which were poorly sleeved and were colored wires.

Stable power. So far I've had two days of uptime with stable 12 volts, and the unit is effortlessly driving my 1090T and 6950.

The PCI-E cables were 6+2 pin which is useful for newer GPUs. My old Cougar unit only had the 6 pins.

The bad:
The SATA cables are short by like two inches. This unit was definitely not meant to be mounted in a case like mine where the PSU goes in the bottom. I had to move my hotswap canister and my Blu-Ray drive down a bay so the SATA power cable would reach them, and because this unit was obviously meant for top-mount applications the SATA power plugs were upside down so I had to basically twist up my wiring so I could plug them in. That was kinda annoying as it made cable management/zip-tying the cables to the case difficult because it was really tight. Other than that, the wiring to everything else was good.

Overall, I am really pleased with the unit, and the performance is great for being just $60. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a decent replacement unit.

End rating:
4.5 out of 5 stars in my opinion.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
What's your cable management like? That could be the reason why some of your cables are too short.

The VCR King

What's your cable management like? That could be the reason why some of your cables are too short.
Well I've been reading around the reviews on my unit and other people are also saying their SATA cables were short if they mounted their PSU in the bottom of the case. The cables were short before I even did cable management, and my "cable management" is essentially zip-tying my wires to my case at any possible point LOL

spirit

Staff member
Well I've been reading around the reviews on my unit and other people are also saying their SATA cables were short if they mounted their PSU in the bottom of the case. The cables were short before I even did cable management, and my "cable management" is essentially zip-tying my wires to my case at any possible point LOL
Make sure your cables are as flat as possible and not going over other cables etc. That can really help increase the length of the cables if you are smart with cable management.

The VCR King

Make sure your cables are as flat as possible and not going over other cables etc. That can really help increase the length of the cables if you are smart with cable management.
Even as flat as possible I have to move my front bay drives to be able to access them. I might use some of my Amazon gift card and buy a cheap SATA power extender.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The old tr2 430 watt units turned me away from thermaltake. It only took me buying 2 of them to determine they were junk. Only brands I get now are corsair or evga.

Okedokey

Somehow I don't think cables from Australia are the most cost effective method since he lives in the States.

And 14 bucks for those cables? Yeesh.

Somehow I think he can get the idea i was proposing and work it out.... SHEESH