My PS/2 ports are forged from pure evil

NeuromancerWGDD'U

I was sitting around playing Scrapland, nothing else was running except for the Hardware Temp monitor, and my PS/2 ports started wigging out. I tried restarting, but it does it now even when I'm only running windows.

What happens is that suddenly the computer acts as if all the buttons on the mouse have just been pushed, then it'll stop recognizing the mouse until I unplug it, and plug it back in. The keyboard just stops responding occasionally, but not nearly as often as with the mouse, however, when the keyboard stops responding, so does the mouse, and they wont respond again until I restart.

It does this sporadically. I've tried reinstalling the mouse and keyboard to no avail. I've not tried a different PS/2 keyboard or mouse, but I doubt that both keyboard and mouse would go insane at the same time.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Hi, definately a motherboard issue. PS/2 ports dont use "drivers" as such so it isnt driver related. Try replacing the motherboard, drastic, i know, but may be the only route

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Hmm...I had been thinking about getting a USB wireless setup for a while, but wont be able to for a little bit. I guess I'll try and see if there are any PS/2 to USB converters available as a temporary solution.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What happens is that suddenly the computer acts as if all the buttons on the mouse have just been pushed, then it'll stop recognizing the mouse until I unplug it, and plug it back in. The keyboard just stops responding occasionally, but not nearly as often as with the mouse, however, when the keyboard stops responding, so does the mouse, and they wont respond again until I restart.
Although not so much an issue now ... do that enough and you'll fry the ports :p

yea , i got a usb mouse with the laser for only 10 bucks, there pretty cheap
Laser? or red LED thingy? :)

yup, here it is http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=943534&Ne=6+1+10313&Nr=FILTER(domestic)&Ns=p_Price|0&N=1000000428+10324&An=browse
is made by microsoft too...

o, well i guess looking closely at the bottom , i guess it's just the company logo i saw, it looks like a triangle. lol.... i thought all optical mouses where lasers, thanks for clearing that up for me:)