My Second Build (Cost/Compatibility Advice)

ChappyEight

New Member
(Disclaimer: I've copied this post onto a couple other forums as well, in case you think you've seen this before.)

I'm going to be building my second machine in 2 years in the very near future. Things have already changed so much in the short time since I built my last machine that I am hoping you all can steer me in the correct direction. This machine will replace my parents 6 year old Dell and they will be reusing the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. So, this build is tower only. Also, I already have Vista Ultimate to install.

I'm looking for input on compatibility of the parts I've chosen and then maybe how I can cut the cost by about $200 without sacrificing too much in performance.

Primary uses for this machine will include basic stuff like heavy internet usage, photo/video storage, moderate Photoshop use, moderate video editing, and digital music storage/iTunes. They won't do any gaming aside from good ole solitaire and Facebook based games.

I tried to choose equipment that would give them at least a 5 year life with simple RAM expansion, maybe another HDD at some point, etc.

So, without further adieu:

CPU: Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale, 2.8GHz, Dual-Core - $80.99

Mobo: ASUS P5QPL-AM Intel G41 MicroATX - $64.99

RAM: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $88.99

PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W - $69.99

HDD (For OS/Programs): WD Caviar Black 500GB - $69.99

HDD (For Media Storage): WD Caviar Green 1TB - $94.99

DVD (x2): Sony Optiarc DVD Burner (2 for disc-to-disc copying) - $61.98 ($30.99/ea.)

Card Reader: Rosewill 40-in-1 - $14.99

Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 534 - $54.99

Total: $596.90

I'm hoping to get that total closer to $400 if at all possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.
 
Last edited:
Not worth to get LGA 775 as LGA 1156 is out. Get AMD with DDR3 RAM instead.

CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681

Mobo - MSI 785GM-E51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130247&cm_re=785g-_-13-130-247-_-Product

DVD burner - keep one if you really want to cut cost

RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260
Get 2 x 1GB if you really want to cut cost

case - I recommend COOLER MASTER Elite 310 for better cable management.

1TB HDD - can save $10 going for Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS / Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS

500GB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS just $55
Don't buy this if you really want to save money.
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=lga_775_motherboard-_-13-131-615-_-Product


all i can think of is this mobo, its a bit cheaper you gain the support for 1600 MHz fsb bt max ram is only 4GB


i would however agree with diasymtc and go for an amd build you can grab an phenom black edition triple core for $72.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103295

or you can go for quad core for 79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103708

to try and save some cash, for the activites you describe do you really need to have 1.5TB for storage you could save a bit if you comprmised on drive capacity
you could opt for 2 500 GB drives
 
Not worth to get LGA 775 as LGA 1156 is out. Get AMD with DDR3 RAM instead.

CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681

Mobo - MSI 785GM-E51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130247&cm_re=785g-_-13-130-247-_-Product

DVD burner - keep one if you really want to cut cost

RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260
Get 2 x 1GB if you really want to cut cost

case - I recommend COOLER MASTER Elite 310 for better cable management.

1TB HDD - can save $10 going for Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS / Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS

500GB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS just $55
Don't buy this if you really want to save money.

might wanna fix that:P
 
Last edited:
might wanna fix that:P


yeah whats wrong with that
its lga 1366 you are probably thinking of
lga 1156 has just come out intel recently moved to it for there new line of i3, i5 and i7 brand cpus (newer pentiums and xeon's are also supported)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top