My SOCKET A and overclocking?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
My SOCKET A motherboard and overclocking?

Hey everyone,

I have a <<MSI KT4 Ultra>> motherboard (supports FSB 333 DDR) and find that although it allows me to change the FSB from 100-280! and allows me to pump up the voltage to 1.75V, I found out that if I go over 166FSB, I end up overclocking the PCI bus etc. Now could anyone tell me if that's true or not. I am sure my ram can handle more than 333mhz (Samsung PC2700). I am afraid I cannot change ratios etc...

JAN :)

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
it *should* lock the PCI/AGP bus no matter what. You're sure you have them locked? Is there an option in your BIOS? They should be at 66MHz/33MHz no matter what.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Aight....

As far as I know, there is no such otpion in my bios. Maybe it is locked and perhaps it's not. MSI does not really tell the users in the manual anyway.

JAN :)

GUNNaH

Well, if your settings are locked at 66/33MHz and your RAM is PC2700 then the RAM is 333MHz and you may, or may not, be able to get some more speed out of them. Try grabbing a Windows OC utility like EasyTune4. Your Mobo (motherboard) CD may have come with an OC Program that is similar (EasyTune4 came with my GigaByte mobo). Although I end up making my final OC changes in my BIOS, EasyTune 4 lets you tweek settings such as FSB speed, RAM, AGP and PCI individually so the settings can be tested for stability and benchmarking (course, I've never used it with your mobo but the point is that there IS a program out there that will help you out). Try using this link to Gigabytes web site to grab it: http://www.giga-byte.com/motherboard/filelist/newtech/tech_et4_download.htm

I hope this helps a bit man, if not ... keep posting. If the link fails just google EasyTune and you'll find it. Hell, drop me a mail if you want and I'll try to help you out when I'm not overloaded with stuff. Good luck.

GUNNaH ([email protected])
PS: There appears to be an EasyTuner5 out now too.