Mysterious processor usage...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Sorry this is a bit long. To sum it up, my CPU usage was at 60% yet nothing showed up in task manager as being used. I typed out what I was doing to see if anyone could suggest what might of caused this... :confused:

As mentioned before, I'm using my laptop while I'm waiting for the GPU cooler for my main system. I had some pictures I wanted to edit so I connected my camera to my laptop(works like any other USB drive) and loaded about seven 5.0MP images into photoshop at once(nothing huge, just took a while on USB) While loading I messed around on the net a bit. Had some stuff to do on ebay and all... Once it was done, I messed with the photos, filtered out what I wanted, then started to crop one.

At this point I realized the machine seemed to be bogged down a good bit so I bumped it back up to full speed. It was a bit better but still seemed sluggish. I got the pic saved then checked task manager. I was running 60% CPU usage or more idle. What's odd is that none of the tasks showed any usage. Even the idle process stayed at 99%

I don't get it. I logged off and back on with the same problem. I restarted and I'm fine... I don't visit any sites that should give me virus's(I'm careful where I go with this machine) and I shouldn't have that much spyware if any... I just scanned yesterday and got nothing...

flame1117

banned
It might be a virus, I had the same thing happen. I didn;t think i would have one either, i was really confussed.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Ran a AVE and Adaware, found nothing. I cleaned up Hijackthis, but here's the current log...

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Darren\My Documents\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Something for net connection wizard, a few for MSN Messanger, a couple for Averatec home pages, and something for Adobe. Its just short because it's actually clean :rolleyes: I told you I'm very careful about what happens to this machine :p