mystery solved

fgrir

Just wanted to share my findings with a computer I have been building for the last six months. It's an AMD 2600+ with 500meg ram, nvidia 4200ti, 60gig hd. Nothing special but had multiple problems with it. First of all the parts are all new. I couldn't format the hard drive without slowing the cpu down to 100mhz fbs, Then I could format and load windows 2k on it. I could use the computer for surfing but it would not play any games and (almost) every time I tried to load a program or a game it would say: "Could not find the file specified". Needless to say I spent lots of time reading forums and calling the local computer repair center for advise to no avail. Finally it just hit me, I wondered why would I have to slow the processor speed to format my hd. The heatsync came with the grease already on it but it felt old or something, Hard to describe. I scraped it off and cleaned it with alcohol, Then put fresh grease on it and jumpered the cpu to max. It came to life right away with no side effects. I had no idea the factory grease on a brand new heat sync could cause that much trouble but it did. Then my next problem was simple, My spysweeper was blocking the programs while it ran in the background. I hope this info helps someone, It has given me six months of headaches.

fgrir

penguinrusty said:
So you installed spysweeper before you formatted the hard drive? Is that possible?
No, That was the secondary problem I was having, Which I was having on multiple computers. I just figured them out on the same day.