Need $5-700 basic laptop for W + $15-2000 laptop 4 me, share dock, 2 monitors + keyboard etc

newby101

Wife and I are setting up our home office finally after using the dining room, living room etc. Would like to make one work station where either of us can work from home.

Basic Laptop for wife ($500-750):
She doesn't need much speed/power/etc, but would like her personal laptop (for which I'm asking suggestions) as well as her work laptop (hp elitebook 850 G6, currently) to dock to : two monitors, a keyboard, mouse, and printer. Preferably all wireless but not crucial. So I would like a suggestion for solid laptop in that $500-700 range for her. She'd like dedicated numeric pad and minimum 14" screen.

Little better laptop for me($1500-2000):
I would like a laptop with 14"+ screen as well, but would like minimum 256 gb SSD, pretty fast processor, decent graphic card, good RAM, and all the connectivity features. I want a physical & backlit keyboard + as fast processing and much memory as possible for the $. I also want it as durable as possible, as it'll be a work laptop and I work in the agriculture sector.

I would like both laptops as well as her work laptop to be able to connect to one dock hooked to two monitors at our home office, and obviously a keyboard, mouse, and printer. I've used physical docks in the past, so I obviously prefer them, but I (clearly) don't know if there is better technology out there. We have Starlink Inet, so running 100+ mbps, if that makes any difference.

Fully understand everything I just typed screams "rookie" and I get it. I just don't know where to start with this. Laptop budgets are somewhat firm, but basically whatever it takes for docking station is fine (wife won't see that one). I also apologize for my vague criteria, I really don't know what I'm talking about above an average consumer.

I do like Lenovo. My wife has liked her HP's. I liked my Sony. And I'm typing this on my Dell (which has been.....acceptable). However, we'd be open to any and all suggestions except Apple (don't ask, you don't have time).

TIA. Sorry for the lengthy first post and I'd appreciate any/all advice!

newby101

Cool fam. The Best Buy guy should be able to help you.

Also, how are you liking Starlink?
Ha, I'd rather not rely on a Best Buy guy.

I really like Starlink. I don't know if this is sarcasm, but it's been phenomenal for us. Not cheap, but where we're at (rural) it is far and away the fastest, and most reliable. Setup took maybe 5 minutes (not including permanent install on the roof). Have seen 150+ mbps pretty regularly, haven't really ever seen it under 100 mbps. The included router is not great, but I already had a pretty nice Linksys.

beers

Staff member
I don't know if this is sarcasm
I was genuinely curious since I haven't chatted with any actual users of it. It looks like they revised the hardware so you can use it anywhere or on the go instead of being geolocked like when it released, which is nice. Thanks for the firsthand feedback.

I mentioned Best Buy since if you're quoting specific brands as opposed to specific specs (or vague descriptions like 'something decent!'), then you likely aren't very familiar with any aspects of hardware itself, but would have the option to physically see or check out what options are available in-person.

newby101

I bought the below,

Yoga 9i (14” Intel) - Storm Grey
82LU0048US

• Processor
    12th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1260P Processor (E-cores up to 3.40 GHz P-cores up to 4.70 GHz)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Home 64
  • Graphics
    Integrated Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
  • Memory
    16 GB LPDDR5-5200MHz (Soldered)
  • Storage
    512 GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 TLC
  • Display
    14" WQUXGA (3840 x 2400), OLED, Glare, Touch, 100% DCI-P3, 400 nits, 60Hz, Low Blue Light
  • Camera
    FHD IR/RGB Hybrid with Dual Array Microphone & Privacy Shutter
  • Fingerprint Reader
    Fingerprint Reader
  • Keyboard
    Backlit, Storm Grey - English (US)
  • WLAN
    Wi-Fi 6E 2x2 AX & Bluetooth® 5.1 or above

and bought a

HP 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - 12th Gen Intel Core i5-1235U - Windows 11

• 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1235U (10-Core) Processor
  • 15.6" Touchscreen Micro-Edge Brightview HD (1366 x 768) 250-Nits Display
  • 802.11 Wireless-AC (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5.0
  • Full-Size Backlit Keyboard with Numeric Keypad and Webcam
  • Microsoft® Windows 11 Home (64-bit)
for the wife.

Any suggestions for universal docking station? I have two Sceptre C24 curved monitors I bought, as well as a Lenovo wireless keyboard/mouse. Also have a newer Brother wireless laser printer and Linksys range extender (not sure that's necessary, but I have it.)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
She might not like the low screen resolution for a 15.6 inch Screen, I know I wouldn't.