Need advice on getting/building a desktop

TexasGamer

Ok so my current gaming rig (as it doesn't do anything else) is a laptop *gigabyte aero xe4
12th gen i7h
3070ti
Ddr4 (cant remember how much ram wanna say 32gb)
Windows 11
Depending on games which is only 2 call of duty warzone *fps 70-80 and horizon 5 60fps but my gpu is maxed out. With close to max graphics (dropping quality doesn't help there)

Looking at getting into a desktop i can probably build one even though i havent done it before but looks simple enough. I want to stick with navida while throwing a rtx 4090 sounds fun the wallet value isnt... as cards are still close to 2k
For cpu either intel 9 or amd 9 3d *gen is yet to be determined.
Ram as much as the motherboard allows thinking 64gb or more,
Cooling will be water cooled

Main goal is fps over 100 with great graphics. As this is mainly a gaming build.

Also i have a mirco center about 3hrs away so its a bonus there.

TexasGamer

Main reason im asking is i have no idea what to build for with in reason the motherboard and ram so many options kinda makes me clueless

beers

Staff member
What's your overall budget? I rebuilt my AM4 rig with a couple pieces, 3070ti laptop class offers some reasonable performance around a PS5 target.

Also huge amounts of RAM are usually underutilized unless you have a particular workload where you're encountering high utilization. I'd probably be looking at AM5 just for features like PCIE5, USB4 and higher ram density in DDR5 like those 48GB DIMMs.

TexasGamer

Thank you i dont have a budget idea because i dont know a lot about the performance to dollar amount. I would rather keep the build cheap and modern, but meet/beat my goal. I also realize game optimization effects fps.

Example rtx4090 is a beast but is found $500 Above rtx 4080. Cant remember performance difference. But at that price gap its a tough call.

Thank you for the advice on ram.

The keyboard/mouse going wireless as i play on controller.
Montior probably 30" *not exact spec. With decent quality. Above 1080p. I game on 16" with 4k resolution. Even though i highly doubt that. *will Google later

My ssd probably 2tb. My laptop has 1tb and its good enough.

Didn't know that about the laptop 3070ti.

I have noticed my laptop keyboard doesn't work at times simple restart via hold power fixes it. This is what made me think about desktop.

Last thought, is wifi better on a desktop my laptop on win11 i have 1gb of dl and up. With a decent router. Best i can do is 30mbps while my galaxy s23 ultra can hit the full amount in same location. I could switch to wired but that's to much cable management as its across the house

TexasGamer

I was looking at Tom's guide at their gpu list
Seems like rtx4080 would be sufficient at 1440p

But my laptop which is supposedly a 4k amoled display runs close to the newer cards at 4k. I don't get that.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I would normally recommend people to stay away from the RTX 4070 Ti, 4080, and 4090 because of that 12VHPWR connector melting fiasco. There's a revision coming out for that plug, but it will most likely not make it to any GPU until the next generation at the earliest.