Need advice.

Deus Ex Machina

I need some advice on computers... I'm currently attending high school, and as bad a combination that computer games and expectations of getting into a good college are, I aim for both. I will be graduating high school in 2006 and going to college the next year, this I can say with certainty. :p

Now here's the problem. At the moment, I'm running on a dirty whore of a Sony Viao, she's been everywhere, and as amazingas it is that she's lasted for 4 years, she has reached the point where she can no longer handle current generation games. I've become so used to lag, when I play on decent machines I go into speed shock. Just FYI:

1.49ghz P4
Default Mobo
512 bargain bin RAM
GeForce4 MXsomething
Internal audio garbage
80 gig Seagate HD (Replaced the original which actually mechanically failed, losing everything)
160 gig Seagate backup

Here's my problem. I can afford to buy a new computer. In fact, after saving my paper route money for 4 years, I can buy a very nice computer. The thing is, my parents have promised me that they will buy me a new computer ($1500-2000 USD range) when I leave for college. I do not want to put any more money into the Vaio, it's just not worth it to me to spend any more money on it. I'd buy a new computer in a second with my own money if I could have some guarantee that it won't be obsolete before I finish college (Could I circumvent this buy buying a rediculosuly fast rig?). Or, I could just give up gaming. I know it would be really hard, but I could use my free time to work out and focus on my classes... I just don't know how long I can go without blowing someone's head off! What should I do?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Deus Ex Machina said:
I'd buy a new computer in a second with my own money if I could have some guarantee that it won't be obsolete before I finish college (Could I circumvent this buy buying a rediculosuly fast rig?). Or, I could just give up gaming.

There no such thing as a computer that going to remain a good gamming machine for 4 years. If I was you I would hold out till you leave for college(if you a senior now) and get that free $1500-$2000 computer from your parents. I would save your money for important things like parting at college, taking girls out etc :p. On the other hand I not one to talk since I just recently spent $2500 on a computer.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If it where me and assuming it's no problem for your parents to make the purchase then I'd waite for the pc because you can have a darn good gaming rig for $1500-$2000 dollers and you could always use the money on other things that you've saved or add that too the $1500-$2000 dollers that your parents agreed to put down for the computer assuming that where alright with them :).

dave597

VIP Member
which is more important? study of course. so i would suggest you give up games. think of the computer as a reward when you finish high school, just think youll be getting the latest specs the later you buy it, and also all the good games come out in the summer anyway so you can relax all summer. you only get one good chance at education, think of how lucky you are. at least that is my opinion..

Deus Ex Machina

I think you guys are right. It will be hard to get through the rest of this year without a nice rig, but I think you're right dave, I should use it as a reward when I finish up. Then I can combine some of my money with my parents' and put a disco club inside my case. :D I guess it's kind of a blessing, I don't want to play if my computer sucks, so I can do something constructive.

Switch

I think you might want to consider a few things going into this:

The first is an idea of space. A lot of colleges are not going to give you much room in your dorm (if you get a dorm that is) to place a computer. You may consider a notebook vs. a desktop, or get a small form factor PC with an LCD monitor.

The advantage with the desktop PC is that it is more easily upgradable in the future. Video card manufacturers like radeon have an exchange program that enables you to get a decent buck for your used card when upgrading to a new one.

PCI Express is going to be much more popular in the future as well, and your video card options will increase with that.

The desktop computer can also be built with great components of the time, and still be fairly usable four years later for most tasks; but gaming will definatly increase at a rate that will pass the capabilities of hardware as we know it today.

If you really want a PC that can get you through college and gaming, then you may have to upgrade after 2 years, 3 max; - if you want to keep up with the hardware that can play the most recent games.

Let me know if you have any questions about SFF PCs.

Yeti

VIP Member
This is similar to my situation when I started out in college. I bought a PIII 800 MHz (almost the best at the time) for a couple grand and my parents bought me a laptop for about a grand. The desktop went gaming obsolete after about two years with upgrades to the memory and video card. It still works and I use it now as a multimedia center for my stereo/TV. So my suggestion would be to buy the best you can without spending way too much and if you really need to play the best games after two years you can either do some serious upgrading or buy a new rig (not necessary IMO, there's other things to do in college :), which ones are you applying to BTW?). I waited till after graduating to build a new computer and I'm happy with my decision.

Bobo

banned
Switch said:
PCI Express is going to be much more popular in the future as well, and your video card options will increase with that.

The desktop computer can also be built with great components of the time, and still be fairly usable four years later for most tasks; but gaming will definatly increase at a rate that will pass the capabilities of hardware as we know it today.

If you really want a PC that can get you through college and gaming, then you may have to upgrade after 2 years, 3 max; - if you want to keep up with the hardware that can play the most recent games.

512MB gfx is coming out soon(ish), and that should be good for a while(until 1GB gfx), 256 has beeen good ever since it came out, I don't remember when

Deus Ex Machina

Cheers guys.
The first is an idea of space. A lot of colleges are not going to give you much room in your dorm (if you get a dorm that is) to place a computer. You may consider a notebook vs. a desktop, or get a small form factor PC with an LCD monitor.
True, but I'll be willing to give up sleeping space for a good CRT. I refuse to play games on a laptop, so I'm definitely going to get s desktop.

Bobo

banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
True, but I'll be willing to give up sleeping space for a good CRT. I refuse to play games on a laptop, so I'm definitely going to get s desktop.
Why is that? You can get laptops with great gfx

Yeti

VIP Member
Yeah, I'd definitely go with a desktop, much easier to work with. I've never seen a dorm room that could be arranged to make room for a desktop (you should've seen my dorm room.. the computer... all that stereo equipment... damn was I stupid). Unless you really need the portability I don't think most people need a laptop. Most colleges have computers all over campus anyway.

tomprice43

Wait till your parents get you the PC, then spend the paper money on making it better, then you will have a dream machine.