Need help building a computer

lostatftcarson

Ok, here we go. I'm trying to build my daughter a computer, nothing fancy, just something she can screw around on. By the way this is my first build. So I went and bought a cheapo case, an AMD Duron 1.6 Ghz CPU, Rosewill PC2100 ram, ASRock K7VT4A motherboard, a Mad Dog G-force MX 4000 graphics card with 128mb of DDR ram, and a Western Digital 40 Gig hard drive. Now the problem I'm having is every time I finish puting the damn thing together and hooked up, the Monitor doesn't pick anything up. I thought it was the AGP slot on the motherboard, because the videocard works fine in my computer, so I bought another motherboard. But I'm still having the same problem. The monitor is telling me there is no signal from the computer. Can anyone out there help?

:confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The number one thing that every computer builder does wrong: (s)he closes the case up too soon :p Seriously though check that the memory and the videocard are properly seated in the slot

For reference sake, what computer do you have? (specs)

lostatftcarson

Trust me, I haven't given up on it yet, I have stayed up until around 2 am every morning trying to get this thing running. The computer I'm building is this:

Powmax Case w/350w power supply
ASRock K7VT4A+
AMD Duron 1600 w/ 266FSB
Rosewill PC 2100 (256MB)
Mad Dog Predator Nvidia G-Force MX 4000 w/128Mb
Samsung 40Gb hard drive
Philips CD/RW

The computer that I'm running now:

Matsonic MS9307C+USB
Intel P4 2.53Ghz
PQI Power PC 2700 512Mb
100Gig hard drive (80Gig WD, 20Gig Samsung)
BFG Nvidia GForce FX 5200 w/256Mb
Lite-On DVD/RW

alvinc5

Re:

Helloooo,

Is the RAM in good shape? Sounds like a RAM issue...might be something else though. Try using a different brand...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Could it be the mobo only supports say Single sided dimms and you've got a double sidded one? (or vice versa), i know some older mobos are real finicky with that