Need Help Fine Tuning

Motana Bob

I am learning to overclock and so far I haven't fried anything:cool:
I am down to my last few settings, I hope, but my core overheats almost instantly when I stress test it using cpu-z. I am monitoring temps with speedfan. With all my fans at 100% it takes mere seconds before my core temp hits upwards of 62c
I am using an asus 970 progaming aura board w/ Vishera fx 8350 chipset and evo 212+ heat sink. I have one 120mm fan attached to it blowing air at the exhaust vent on the case. I am usin Win 8.1 x 64. I have 2x8 gig kingston hyper x fury memory.
Now I must be missing a utility somewhere as I can not find the oc genie, but I can and have been adjusting stuff in the BIOS in very small increments, at least to me, maybe .05 or whatever the next step up in voltage is, and praying something doesn't go zzzt!
I want to know if I have reached my limit with the gear I have or do I need to keep fiddling with voltages? If it gets hot in mere seconds do I have too much or not enough voltage? I may have reached my limit due to cooling restrictions...

beers

Staff member
What voltage and clock speed?

I seem to remember that cooler running out of capacity fairly quickly on my 8350 build.

Motana Bob

So, thats one of the things I am still trying to grasp.
I started by increasing the multiplier but I had to do a bunch of searching to find out what Asus even calls it.
Then I went down to voltage and started playing with the numbers. I saw where they went yellow and purple. I ended up increasing all of the voltages by one click. like....00625 or so and then I ran a stress test. I got the multiplier up to 21 or so. any higher and it would get hot in like...15 seconds.
I know undervoltage sometimes called attenuation will burn wires and motors so I would expect the same response from a computer.
I noticed changing the bus frequency changed the memory frequency and I imagine that is how you over clock memory.
Mostly I am trying not to burn a $200.00 part.
Is it time to step up to water cooled? I would love to modify an air conditioner but my wife would loose her mind!!:oops::mad:
Or am I correct in worrying about undervoltage? If I can't give the CPU the juice it requires, then what?

Motana Bob

62c 64c 72c once. Everything I have read seems to indicate that anything above 62c is not so good. I have also read where speedfan can be off by 5 to 20c. Not sure if that is opinion or fact, but the temps for GPU match what Afterburner says they are.