Need help in extending internet 120ft to my shop

johnnyb58

I have a wireless router on the far side of the house approx. 55 ft to where I have an underground conduit to my shop. I plan on pulling 70 ft of Ethernet cable through the conduit to the shop but I cannot run a cable through the house because of the way it’s constructed.

I have 2 or 3 extra wireless routers and what I would like to do is put a wireless router outside the house at the conduit run and run a cable to the shop. I’ve heard that I can connect a 2nd router to connect to the main router. I don’t remember the terminology, but I think it’s called bridge or something like that, but I haven’t a clue as to how to connect it.

Someone told me I can buy an extender that connects through the electrical power, but I do not want that. I’m open to other ideas except the one using power lines. If I have to I could run Ethernet cable over the roof and down the wall to the conduit, but it gets extremely hot and I would have to protect it from heat. Below is a basic drawing to illustrate my problem.

Shop Internet.png

johnnyb58

Yes this looks like it will work, but pricey. I was hoping to use what I already have so it shouldn’t cost me anything.

I already have 100ft Cat6 cable and a Asus RT-N56U Router as my main and an extra AsusRT-AC68U Router.

johnnyb58

Can you move the main router location near the new required location?
Oh I wish I could because it also solves problems with my security cameras as well. There is no crawl space under the house nor is there an attic and the house is dived by a large open living space between the front and back. So can’t run anything between unless it’s hanging off the ceiling or laying on the concrete floor. I still haven’t figured out how to put Security Cameras on that side of the house which is more important than the side it’s on.

I’m in the middle of the desert where it gets 118°F and any metal like conduit exposed to the sun all day long gets over 170°F which melts cables and increases resistance. I thought about running conduit across the roof and covering it with wood to shade it, but we get 14 mph wind speeds during the monsoon season with gusts over 50 mph and I have no way to fasten down the boards.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Conduit outside around the base of the house?

If you have direct line of site(or drywall construction), you could do a simple range extender on the other side of the house. Then run Ethernet to the shop.

johnnyb58

Conduit outside around the base of the house?

If you have direct line of site(or drywall construction), you could do a simple range extender on the other side of the house. Then run Ethernet to the shop.
Well that's an option for sure because there is a glass door between the wall with the main router and the door where my trench is going to be for power, water and Ethernet. I just wish I could do it without spending anymore money and use what I got.