need help, lost sound

jimdg

Hello,Yesterday ,I updated windows media player and lost ALL sound.I show no volume control in task bar. Does anyone know what happened and how I can recover sound in my computer HP brio ba200. I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I'm not posting this correctly. Thanks ,Jim

jimdg

No sound anywhere,I can't even get a preview of available sounds from the sound options in control panel.thanks

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Start->All Programs->Accessories->Entertainment->Volume Control
check volumes and for muting

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I agree, plus, your volume control in the taskbar might have gotten disabled... You can also access the sound control through the Control Panel.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
In the control panel under sounds do you have the right device selected? And your speakers are working?

jimdg

speakers are fine.in control panel under sounds i'm not sure what right device means.This all seemed to happen after I updated windows media player. and all evidence of sound vanished.My wife tells me to leave well enough alone and not update so much,looks like she has a point.I won't be able to reply again till tomorrow. I hope you will not think me rude. thanks jim

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, not to be rude to your wife, but she's wrong, for the most part... It's good to keep updating, but sometimes stuff like this is going to happen... Sorry for the annoyance, but you might try seeing if there are newer drivers for your sound card. Could be a conflict between the new WMP and the sound card drivers...

Hello

banned
I was going to say what Cromewell said. But since that didn't work I dunno. Make sure that the volume control on WMP is up.

jimdg

no, I haven't done anything but update WMP and then lost all sound.I'm not an expert ,so I don't know if I am on the right track but I went to device manager and tried to re-install a sound driver.I got this message; the driver for this device may be bad or your system man be running low on memory or other resources code 3. I follow the steps to update the driver ,It then tells me the best driver windows found is already installed.Any ideas? thanks jim

jimdg

I don't know where to go ,still no sound ,clicking volume control in accessories/entertainment..nothing happens.Any ideas??? thanks Jim

Ba_Ba

well, you got to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore and just resotre your PC to an earlier and working time.... :)

jimdg

I have windows 98.I can't find a system restore in system tools. Do I have to use the disc that came with the computer initially? Is it complicated to do this? thanks Jim

Ba_Ba

I think you have to used the discs that came with your computer.....I am not familiar with windows 98....but I think you can just follow the instructions on the CD....