need help picking a laptop...

boots_4SW

hey I need help picking a laptop...I'd be using it for surfing the web, video games (cs 1.6, css, AA), and typing up papers, and using the internet from school and other places using wireless. I don't want to spend more then $1100 and that doesn't include accesories like adapters, carrying cases, etc. I've been leaning to the dell insprion 6000. Heres the link...
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=i6000dlo&s=bsd

I would upgrade to the pentium m 750 1.86ghz prosscessor, the free upgrade to the 512 ram, go down to 40gb hard drive...Now i'm not sure if the 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics is worth the extra $100, if i isn't then it would be the ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory. I herd that the ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory would play the games i listed (cs 1.6, css, AA) but i would need to turn the settings down the low-medium for css. So what do you think of this? And is the 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics worth the extra $100? Thank in advance.

-Ryan

Last edited:

Travo925

Hey man, you didn't tell me about the 128mb upgrade...i would go for that instead of the 64mb...but, somebody else may know better ;)

alanuofm

VIP Member
boots_4SW said:
hey I need help picking a laptop...I'd be using it for surfing the web, video games (cs 1.6, css, AA), and typing up papers, and using the internet from school and other places using wireless. I don't want to spend more then $1100 and that doesn't include accesories like adapters, carrying cases, etc. I've been leaning to the dell insprion 6000. Heres the link...
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=i6000dlo&s=bsd

I would upgrade to the pentium m 750 1.86ghz prosscessor, the free upgrade to the 512 ram, go down to 40gb hard drive...Now i'm not sure if the 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics is worth the extra $100, if i isn't then it would be the ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory. I herd that the ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory would play the games i listed (cs 1.6, css, AA) but i would need to turn the settings down the low-medium for css. So what do you think of this? And is the 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics worth the extra $100? Thank in advance.

-Ryan

the x300 is a value card in itself. for the desktop card, the x300 is basically the pci version of the radeon 9600. so i am guessing for the mobility version everything is brought down a little bit. i am not sure about it playing cs:s. my sisters radeon 9000 plays cs 1.6 with about 300 fps staring at a wall and about 60fps in smoke. i would not order a dell right now because they have that rebate thing. i often find coupon codes and it makes the 6000 well under 1000$ even with the best video card. i'll let you know when i find something.

boots_4SW

I was trying to tell you but you weren't on aim..anyways I would get it but, i'm not sure how much better it is.

-Ryan

boots_4SW

alanuofm said:
the x300 is a value card in itself. for the desktop card, the x300 is basically the pci version of the radeon 9600. so i am guessing for the mobility version everything is brought down a little bit. i am not sure about it playing cs:s. my sisters radeon 9000 plays cs 1.6 with about 300 fps staring at a wall and about 60fps in smoke. i would not order a dell right now because they have that rebate thing. i often find coupon codes and it makes the 6000 well under 1000$ even with the best video card. i'll let you know when i find something.

They both have x300 so Im not sure what one your talking about... Would the
128mb play cs:s without lag then? That would be awesome if you could do that... heres my email [email protected] (there a under score like this Boots_4SW)or you can reach me on aim Boots 4SW.
Travo I was trying to tell you but you weren't on aim

-Ryan

Last edited:

alanuofm

VIP Member
the x300 is the gpu. the memory can run out really fast when you are playing memory intensive games. the x300 will lag. i have a radeon 9700 and even it lags when there are 10 people in front of me. the only mobile card that dell offers that wouldnt lag is the geforce 6800.

boots_4SW

ok then I will go with the 128mb. Are there any other laptops I should look at that could be a better deal? Thanks for the help.

-Ryan

alanuofm

VIP Member
yes look into the dell 9300. and like i said wait until after wednesday and look at their laptops again. just remember to update this thread and i'll do some research on computers for you. like a week ago i maxed out a 9300 with a geforce 6800 for only 1200$ with a 700$ off coupon.

boots_4SW

alanuofm said:
yes look into the dell 9300. and like i said wait until after wednesday and look at their laptops again. just remember to update this thread and i'll do some research on computers for you. like a week ago i maxed out a 9300 with a geforce 6800 for only 1200$ with a 700$ off coupon.

Very impressive. If you could do something liek that for me (i'm not expecting it) then I would go over my budget in a flash. How do I update a thread just post on it? I will look into the 9300.

-Ryan

alanuofm

VIP Member
boots_4SW said:
Very impressive. If you could do something liek that for me (i'm not expecting it) then I would go over my budget in a flash. How do I update a thread just post on it? I will look into the 9300.

-Ryan

yes just post on it and it will get bumped. i read a lot of threads so i'll forget unless its on top.