need help please....

pslee

Hi. I built my own computer few years back and it causes problems now. First, I turned on my computer for the entire night. When I checked the computer in the morning, the screen was out (all black, no response). So I turned off the computer and restarted but my computer refused to boot. Because I had to go somewhere, I left the computer as it was and finally came back to fix it. The problem is I can't even get into safe mode. I tried to but right before the windows pop up, the system just freezes. I thought I did something wrong, so I tried to format the computer, but it does not work. It says it is going to boot from cd rom, but it doesn't and freezes. But here comes the biggest problem. I just left the computer when it froze, and after a minute or so, there was a spark and the screen went out with a burnt smell from the computer. I thought it was the video card that was burnt, so I changed to my old card, but screen doesn't come back. Now I don't know what to do. Please help.

processor: athlon xp 2500+
mobo: Abit NF7-S
video card: Radeon 9700 pro
replaced vdeo card: radeon 9250

curtains

I'd say its time for a new rig, with all those problems lol, but if u don't have the funds or you don't want to then hopefully this might help u solve ur problem.

the SPARK - did it come from the monitor have u tested you monitor?, maybe it came from the monitor, if so test it on a different computer or test a different monitor on ur computer, if it didnt come from the monitor, I'd say change ur PSU, maybe the spark could be from anything hard for me to work out best to just test each component indivudally

the FREEZING - I'd susspect form all ur problems that this all might be related to ur PSU(power supply unit) so maybe change the PSU first and see how things go if not the PSU, then run a ram test on ur ram make sure theres not bad sectors in it. , then next if ur rams all ok, is then to test ur HDD for bad sectors since it won't let u format it., maybe pull it out and stick it in another comptuer to test or run bootable disk to test.

if its not a PSU, Ram, HDD then, only thing left is MOBO and CPU, cause since u've tested 2 different working vid card's it wouldn't be that, and if there your problems then prob best to get a new rig unless you can find another mobo or CPU to test ur mobo and cpu on.

hope this help