Need help pls!

burst01

Hey guys how's it going?
I was playing around with one of my computers (hardware) the other day and i think i did something bad but not sure what. basically the computer just won't turn on... when i turn the computer off at the power point and then back on the power supply hums for a couple of seconds and the fans start up but then that's as far as it gets and it just goes quiet again.
does anybody have any idea what the problem may be in relation to? I accidentally dislodged the battery but i replaced that, could the problem be something to do with that? the fact that the fans start up lends me to believe that the PS is fine but i dont know what else the problem could be.
Any ideas appreciated.

burst01 said:
I accidentally dislodged the battery but i replaced that, could the problem be something to do with that?
You prolly cleared the CMOS by doing that , but it still should boot up...

Last edited:

burst01

yeah it's a really strange problem that i've never seen before... i'm pretty experienced with computers and can normally isolate the source of the problem but its tricky with this cos it's hard to troubleshooot something that won't turn on. i just don't know what i could have done cos i wasn't fiddling with anything particularly sensitive. hmmm although i didn't d/c from the powerpoint when i was changing things, maybe i fried the m/b or something. that would be grand cos its not actually my computer :eek:

Maybe you should try to strip it down to only the parts that it needs to run, and see if you can find the problem, and to rule out the PSU you might wanna get a PSU tester or try to jump it;)

eclipso

If your 100% sure you connected everything right. You either got a fried mobo or CPU. But! Try the power test if you think you connected something wrong .

1.) Disconnect everything from the mobo
2.) The following should be ONLY connected : Memory - CPU - PSU
3.) Power on. If your PC begins to read, your fine. If not, consider buying a new Mobo or CPU.

p.s Your power supple is not fried atleast.

burst01

well i stripped it to barebones and powered up, put it all back together again and now its working fine...
ahhh the joys of computing :cool:

i guess some power cable must have been loose somewhere along the lines.
cheers guys.