Need help regarding wireless connection

Raelin

Hi all,

Honestly I am not really computer savvy, so hope you all can forgive all my layman terms. Anyway, I've been experiencing this problem with my home wireless connection. You see, everytime i try to sample or stream an audio or video online, my connection gets cut off. This happens with websites like amazon.com, cduniverse.com or even when i was streaming some clips on upn.com.
I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop at home connected to this network. However, this problem only persists in my laptop. I am using zonealarm. Thinking this might be the problem, I have shut it down, but this did not work either. It's a wireless cable connection, using linksys.
I've never had this problem before, but the past 2-3weeks have been like that. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me? If I am in the wrong forum, maybe you can point me to a suitable one to post this qn?.. Would really appreciate any help. Thank you!!!

Trizoy

VIP Member
have you installed anything recently that could have started this? new software, or other wireless components that could affect the signal strength?

Raelin

No new components.. As for software, the only one that could possibly affect connection would probably be zonealarm. Nothing else.. I dun think pc games would affect the connection.. But if it really is zonealarm, why is it that shutting it down still does not help?
I really don't know.. *Sigh..

Trizoy

VIP Member
I dont know if you use your laptop on top of a desk.. or where your looking a the streaming files... Have you used your laptop in a different way recently? i mean if you use your laptop on a blanket, it may be overheating.. The cloth absorbs the heat.. I know if you charge your laptop do it on a firm no absorbent surface. It will charge faster, and more complete. Are you allowing windows to manage your wirless signal? Or your linksys software?

Lax

VIP Member
Check and make sure Zonealarm is allowing the connections of the files/sites you're trying to see.

Raelin

I've set zonealarm to allow these websites, and I've even tried to shut down zonealarm. Nothing there.
I use my laptop on my desk. So don't think it has to do with the surface. I occasionally carry it around my house and use it on my lap, but that is only for a while. Hmm.. I have brought it to school to use on the sch's wireless LAN. But it has worked before; no problems then. Problems always occur when i try to stream audio from amazon.com and cduniverse.com, whether I use windows media player or realplayer. I tried to view clips on UPN.com too and the same problem occured.
I usually let windows manage my wireless device. But I also tried to used Intel PROset to manage it. Same problem either way. My guess is there is a problem when the clips are connecting via my media players. Coz the players will indicate that they are connecting to the site, then the connection dies. Each time this happens, this green light on my linksys router goes off. The words below this light says "Wireless-B".
Is this any help?