Need help upgrading 4yr old computer

AndrewC0

New Member
Hello, I'm new to the forum and this looked like a good place to get advice for the upgrade I'm trying to accomplish.

The current specs are:
OS: XP Service Pack 2
Power Supply: 480W
Processor: AMD Athlon FX-55 Processor
Motherboard: ABIT AV8 - VIA K8T800 Pro Motherboard
Memory: (4) 1GB DDR2 (Forgot company)
GFX Card: ATI Radeon X800 XT 256 MB DDR3 (AGP Slot <- Problem)

What I want to achieve is:
Changing the motherboard to a PCI-Express 2.0 motherboard with 4 RAM slots for (4) 1GB DDR2 RAM
New video card: GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 (Priced at newegg for $189.99)
New processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor (Priced at newegg for $174.99)

Now I'm not too great with motherboards, so it would be appreciated if you guys could help out with critiquing my current wish list or changing it. Price of all the parts is trying to be kept under $500. I also need to find out which motherboard can hold the 9800 GTX because I read that it's long (near 10.5 inches). But if you guys have better suggestions for a video card or processor, I'm up for ideas.

I'm looking to upgrade my gaming computer to be one being able to handle Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, etc.
I will be upgrading my PROCESSOR, VIDEO CARD, and MOTHERBOARD.

Also for case size, I have an Alienware, so it is HUGE.

Thanks for all your advice,
AndrewC0
 
Last edited:
You know, I'm not quite sure yet. Later on I might rebuild it for LAN games on things like Warcraft III, and such games. Or I might just sell it. Also I might buy a new case, so if anyone is interested in an old Alienware case, it might be up for bidding later. Right now I'm just trying to figure out my game plan to make my computer be able to run things with the new 3.0 texure and shaders graphics, because my current video card doesn't even display games like Assassin's Creed, it's just a white screen.
 
if you are agoing to sell that fx-55, when you get 100 posts and you can sell something when its not against forum rules, i'll buy it from you
 
I also need to find out which motherboard can hold the 9800 GTX because I read that it's long (near 10.5 inches).

That depends on the case, not the motherboard. My mobo will hold any card, but my case won't. Haha. And I would look at a different card. It is a very good card, but the 9800GTX+ is coming out. If you don't buy the 9800GTX+, at least it will push the lower card prices down. I would look possibly into the GTX 200 series. They are a bit more, but they give a lot more performance.

Make sure you have a good power supply too. I don't think 480W will last very long, especially with a 9800GTX. Look for something around 600W with as many amps on the 12V rail as you can find.

The GTX 260 or 280 should run Crysis very well. You can always SLI later. That is, assuming you have more money than you know how to get rid of.
 
Last edited:
Well case size = Alienware case, I have room to spare.
And I want to be cost effective if you didn't see, I want to keep it under $500 total. I mean I might go to $600, but I want to keep the cost not incredibly high on the video card. I'm not one to buy the newest stuff when it comes out. I'm just looking for a new card/motherboard/processor, to get my computer up to date so I can game with the new games without a problem.
 
Okay well I would wait about 2 weeks or so. The 9800GTX+ is just hitting the market and it's starting at $200. It's apparently cooler than the 9800GTX, I believe it runs faster, and it's cheaper than most 9800GTX's. NewEgg only has one of them, once there are more, the prices will likely drop and overclocks will get higher as companies compete.
 
Yeah waiting for the GTX+ seems like a good idea, newegg will have one company that will sell them in 2 days at $200. I was going to buy the GTX at $190 so there isn't that big of a step up in price. Now I know video card is the big thing, but processor wise tell me if I need to try and go better, or if its too much etc.

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

And I'm still on the hunt for a good motherboard under $150.
 
It would be really disappointing to find that you came home from the store or UPS just left your house only to find that your processor does match the socket or it will not work with your motherboard for some reason (BIOS is to blame usually fixable by an update sometimes) make sure you've done your homework.
 
update: You mentioned you want a Intel quad core or something, but have an Athlon currently.

No can do!
No can do!
No can do! unless you plead and beg for Intel and AMD to get along and share sockets and be intercompatible, which will never happen, so NO CAN DO!
 
WELL nobody has said it already so i'll say it. there is no motherboard on earth that will support a 45nm processor and ddr ram. its not going to happen, if you want a new processor then you need new ddr2 ram, its as simple as that.
 
then you need new ddr2 ram, its as simple as that.

Well if you read my post, I already have DDR2 ram.

As for socket on motherboard
I'm going to buy a new motherboard.

Just to clear up a few things, I'm buying NEW:
Motherboard
Video Card
Processor
 
Back
Top