Need Help with Removing Hard Drive

sheepojohn

New Member
I am running out of space on my Dell Optiplex GX 270 and I bought a new hard drive that will work with my computer. For some reason I am unable to disconnect the power cable for the hard drive and there is some box over the top of the connector the goes into the hard drive. So no matter how hard I pull the cable does not come out. So how do I remove the power connector for the hard drive do I can replace the hard drive
 
Try to take this box off by a pair of pliers carefully. I'm not familiar with what you're talking about, but this "box" seems something strange. Are you sure it's not the connector itself?

Can you include a picture of this so I/we can get a good idea of what this is?
 
How do you mean 'moved the hard drive'...Did you mean move (bend) the power pins? If you have a camera, it would be really helpful if you showed the situation...or, use Google Images and try to find picture that fits the descripton. If your machine is not too old you might be able to ask Dell about this problem.

If all else fails, pull on the cable (not too hard though.) -- if the hard drive doesn't matter to you, just yank the cable out (wear good gloves so you don't hurt your knuckles)
 
Were you planning on replacing the old drive with the new drive, or were you just adding an additional drive for more storage? If you're just adding storage space, leave the existing drive as-is and add your new hard drive.
 
Reply

I am removing the hard disk that is currently in it and replacing it, so I checked dell's manual for my computer (Dell Optiplex GX 270) and it said nothing on how to remove the power connector for the hard disk. So I still wondering on how to remove the hard disk
 
I work on GX 270's all the time, but pictures of your problem would be a big help.
 
Back
Top