Need help with this problem

oicu812

i'm not all that experienced with computer hardware, but i know when something isn't working properly. I noticed that my hard drive activity light was always on, and that it had been that way since i had unplugged and replugged the cable into the primary drive (this was a separate issue that was solved by simply doing that). When i unplug the primary drive cable, the HDD activity light reverts to normal and it flashes along with activity from the backup drive. I am able to put the right half of the primary drive cable into the slot and it will be fine, but once the left half of the plug touches the metal, the light goes on and stays solid. I have no idea what to do or what it means so i would really appreciate some help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Lesson number one....

Do not be plugging and unplugging cables while the system is on unless you know for sure your system supports hot swapping. And if you unplugged your primary drive then your system would just freeze up anyway. Can you better explain your setup. Are you using sata cables or IDE cables. What are your system specs?