need help with wireless adapter

kdfresh09

so i know i posted this in the networking section, but maybe it would be better here...sorry for the double post, and if it is against the rules please let me know, forgive me and ill be sure to not do it again...

alright guys im stumped. i install a fresh copy of xp sp2. installed all drivers and activate windows. my netgear usb adapter works. i go to windows update and install the 1st set of updates. restart, everything still works. go to update more updates for windows and restart. this time my adapter isnt working. i go to device manager and there is a yellow ! mark by it (not a ? mark) i go to windows update through an ethernet connection and no updates for it. i try to manualy update it and it says cannot update no update available. i went to my moms computer which has the same updates installed and i pluged in the adapter, go to device manager and there is a yellow ? mark. so of course i install driver. the install goes all the way through, but it dont work. in device manager theres that dang yellow ! mark on her computer!!! i dont know what to do to get it to work. it seems like an update that windows provides is throwing it off. i need to know how to get it working, without having to do a reinstall and not do no updates since so far that is the only solution i can think of. im begining to work on peoples computers for a side job and dont want to run into this problem with them and have to tell them that i need to reinstall windows...can anyone please help??!!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an option to rollback the driver? If not, then you should do a system restore to before the last updates were done and then try to find out what update killed it and not install it.