Need Help

Gr3yG0053

I have a dell computer, its about a year old and i bought a new power supply for it, but dell only take dell power supplys. So after i tried to turn it on and it not working I put in my old power supply and my computer wont trun on...all i get is an orange colored light where the power symbol is on the front of my computer. So after calling dell they tell me that my mother board is bad and i need a new one. So right about now I am really pisssed of, I was wondering if this has happened to and one before when they installed a new power supply, and what I should do????????please help

lilpaul2019

it never happend to me but just change it get a new mb check the soket probbely 478 and check what the fsb of the prooser is and the core probbely presscott not sure and get a new mb and the form factor of the case call and ask these q's

Gr3yG0053

If I could get a new MB for a place like newegg should I, and if yes what type of MB would be good when I looked there waws alot. I have an P4 2.8 HT with a 1gig of ram. I was upgrading alot of stuff in my computer, I put a two new fans, a ordered a new video card and I was going to leave the other video card in it and eventully buy another monitor.

Gr3yG0053

I found out that I have a P4 prescott/northward 2.8, that chipset that I had was a 865gv springdall with a 250w powersupply. So what motherboard should I get, I would like to have pci express on the new one if possable. Also can I use that 450wt atx power supply that I recently purchased on the new Mobo that I buy? and if so how do I use it without frying the new mobo?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I found out that I have a P4 prescott/northward 2.8
Translation: you still almost know nothing about the chip. If its a Prescottt, theres a chance that its a Socket775 part ... I suspect it isnt but thats a possibility.

So what motherboard should I get, I would like to have pci express on the new one if possable
As long as you buy a PCIx16 video card and DDR2 memroy you'll be fine. Of course this only applies if you have a Socket775 CPU ... otherwise you'll have to buy a new CPU...

and if so how do I use it without frying the new mobo?
? Plug it in (carefully) and dotn overclock .. im not sure i understand

Gr3yG0053

Yeah when I called dell they told me that it was a prescott and that is the same as a northward. They only question I have is that some mobo say 478 socket which is a P4 HT, and others say LGA775 which is a P4 HT, and some just say P4 HT ready. If I buy any of these boards will they work with my cpu, and as long as the form factor is atx I can use the power supply that I purchased (480W) on the board.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah when I called dell they told me that it was a prescott and that is the same as a northward.
Well the next time they say that tell them to goto hell, talk to the manager and demand the $800 from the pricetag of the system for techn support based on incompentence.

Prescott
- Comes in both Socket 478 and Socket 775 models
- Based on a 90nm process
- 1MB L2 cache
- 30stage pipe

NorthwoodC
- Comes in Socket 478
- 512K L2 cache
- 21 stage pipe

NorthwoodC-Extreme
- Comes in both Socket 478 and Socket 775 models
- 512K L2 cahce
- 2MB L3 cache
- 21 stage pipe

Cant reccomend a mobo for you until can find out what the proc is. Grab CPUz (http://www.cpuid.com), goto the About tab, do a HTML output and post/attatch here

Gr3yG0053

after arguing with the tech that prescotts come in both 478 and 775 sockets and talking to the manager I found that I have a 478, so what do you recommend. pci expressx1 or no pci expressx1? Is Albatron a good brand? and as long as the form factor is atx I can use the power supply that I purchased (480W atx psu) on the board?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
after arguing with the tech that prescotts come in both 478 and 775 sockets
LOL nice one :)

and talking to the manager I found that I have a 478
Actually all this time, CPUz coulda told ya :p (shoulda thought of that .. .but at least you got to yell at someone)

so what do you recommend. pci expressx1 or no pci expressx1?
You dont have a choice. Its AGP for you.

Is Albatron a good brand
Brand isnt that big of a deal like it used to be :)

and as long as the form factor is atx I can use the power supply that I purchased (480W atx psu) on the board?
Not sure i understand but if you mean "ill go buy a new power supply", forget it. Dell mobos use custom power supply connectors (which you could prolly hack but might end up seriously frying something, ... like yourself).

Gr3yG0053

My dell mobo only has 1 agp and 3pci slots, what I did was I bought a 480w atx psu and hooked it up to that mobo and now that I look at thing I think that it was a micro atx and thats what fried it. so as long as the new mobo form factor is just atx I can hook up that psu that I had?

Bobo

banned
I dont see why not

Make sure the mobo will fit in your case, I was building a computer off my old case, and the new mobo was about 2mm too big

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so as long as the new mobo form factor is just atx I can hook up that psu that I had?
With Dell systems you need a Dell-compatable power supply because Dell uses funky power connectors ... the interesting part comes when you try and get Dell compatible PSUs tho ;)