Need laptop .. What is the best laptop u suggest for 1150€ in Europe..

ahmad

I'm a newbie here and need help because this will be my first time buying laptop.
I've been reading this sites but looks like most of u guys are in US (CMIIW) because I can't even find any SAGER here in europe (i'm in madrid now for study).
And now I really do need laptop to help my study but I'm in a thight budget around 1200€ and the sooner I get the laptop is better.

I've gone to many PC store here and I found many types of laptop but I don't know which one is better than the other. I'm pretty critical on what to buy because I really want this to be a very worthed spending.

Since it's only around 1150€ (IMHO +- 1500 US$) I don't expect much from the specification, but I just want to get the best from that amount of money.

Maybe it'll be around:

Centrino Dothan 1.6 will be enough
512 RAM
DVD CDRW
60GB

I'm still confuse about the LCD screen. I'm thinking of 14" because I assume it'll be lighter. But I also want 15'4" because I will also use it as a TV (with TV tuner).

Graphic card:
hmm .. hoping that I can get ATI 9700 64mb .. but if the budget doesn't fit then Intel64MB would be just find.

I really2 do expect help here. Which brand is good or bad or anything.
Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Oh ya, another thing that I maybe will tavel also to Germany next year .. so I'm thingking of Int'l warranty or minimal European warranty.

Thanks again.

mkl

I'm looking everywhere for a laptop too recently. Though I dunno anything about european laptops I do have some laptops that fits your description (which is about the same as mine). These laptops are all below $1500 US but I dunno if they will be the same price in Europe.
Toshiba M30X self customized costs about $1350, and it has ati 9700 64 mb. Just check out toshibadirect.com
The Compaq X1000 costs about $1370, but it only has ati 9200 64 mb, though it has a faster hard drive (5400 rpm) hpshopping.com
This is the one I'm planning to get: Dell Inspiron 8600. It has ati 9600 pro turbo at 128 mb, and costs about $1360; just check out dell.com for details.
If you can settle for shared VRAM, you can check out hp website. They got some decent ones for a good price.
I have no idea if there's international warranty (that's my problem too, I live in Canada and want to buy in US, 'cause it's cheaper down there) so call the customer reps.
Hope that's helpful
p.s. they are all 15.4"

ahmad

Thank you MKL,

Now I can see that laptop is cheaper in US. Because all the brand you've just said is more expensive here in Madrid. And I don't think there's a good online buying here in Madrid (or maybe I just don't know :D )

But I think Dell Inspiron is a little bit too expensive for what it's got. Don't you agree?

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestion. Keep it coming

:)