Need little advise on VM please

avior

my question is VM safe 1 have a pc with windows 10 running which does everything browsing to download to playing games to online search
then i have switch the turn off hard drive and turn on a diffent hard drive for my person and private work liking banking paying online bills etc hence nothing else is done on that drive.

now my question is can i run a VM within the first hard drive where i do everything and then open a VM to do my personal work and pay bills and banking etc is it safe or do i just leave as is

thanks

beers

Staff member
Depends on your definition of safe, nothing is going to guarantee that you don't make silly decisions.

Couriant

Basically a VM is a software version of what you are physically doing. The advantage is that you don't need to switch off one for the other because it will be on your desktop. Also, it is contained so unless you make the VM seeable from the main computer, then you should be OK as long as you don't go clicking on suspectable links within the VM.

If you are doing basic stuff like banking, then you won't even need a big VM.

avior

Basically a VM is a software version of what you are physically doing. The advantage is that you don't need to switch off one for the other because it will be on your desktop. Also, it is contained so unless you make the VM seeable from the main computer, then you should be OK as long as you don't go clicking on suspectable links within the VM.

If you are doing basic stuff like banking, then you won't even need a big VM.
Thank you for your reply just one more question say if my computer had some sort of virus on it then i had open up VM would the virus infect the VM within also if i have antivirus install on the main PC would that help in anyway within VM or would i have to install antiviruse in the VM as well
many thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Thank you for your reply just one more question say if my computer had some sort of virus on it then i had open up VM would the virus infect the VM within also if i have antivirus install on the main PC would that help in anyway within VM or would i have to install antiviruse in the VM as well
many thanks
They are completely separate systems. The virus will not transfer from the host PC to the VM.